30: Face to Face! 'Survive'

"How did this happen?" Elena asked. Damon dropped my hand pouring himself a drink. We had just returned to his place. My cousin had been here for awhile. She showed up to homecoming then Katherine took her place the rest of the night. We just told her that Stefan backstabbed us all.

"We thought of everything, Elena! Klaus having hybrids. Mikael turning on us. We brought in Katherine so you weren't in danger. Anything that could have gone wrong, we were prepared," Damon said.

They even daggered Rebekah. But tonight just as Damon went to kill, Klaus. Stefan interfered and gave the stake to Klaus who used it on Mikael instead. Damon and I got the hell out of there before facing Klaus' wrath.

"I don't understand. Stefan wanted Klaus dead more than anything," Elena mumbled.

"That's what we were counting on," I sighed, rubbing Damon's arm.

"We blew it!" Damon complained.

"Where's Katherine?" Elena asked.

"She ran for the hills, like usual. The minute things got bad. Who blames her? Klaus would have crushed her. I had him, Elena. I had Klaus. This could've all be over!" He yelled. Suddenly he turned around and through the crystal bottle of bourbon towards the fireplace.

Elena gasped and I quickly grabbed him by his arms, turning him back to face me. "Damon, hey," I whispered, my hands taking hold of his handsome face. "Hey, listen to me we'll survive this. We always survive. Trust me."

"We're never getting Stefan back," he mused. He then looked over at Elena and I let him go and he took a step towards her. "You know that, don't you?"

"Then we'll let him go. Ok? We'll have to let him go," she said softly, hugging herself.

Damon's phone started ringing and he grunted, pulling it out of his pocket. "Not interested in the play by play of our failure right now, Katherine," he greeted, holding the phone to his side. Which I knew meant he put her on speaker for us all to hear.

"I'm just calling to say goodbye. I don't know what to tell you. You had a good plan, Damon. And that's high praise coming from me," she said, sighing softly.

"It's not very comforting at the moment. You going back into hiding?"

"At least my life's not boring. Goodbye, Damon."

"Take care of yourself, Katherine," he said then hung up. "I'm going to bed. Let's go, babe."

He took my hand and led the way from the parlor/living room to the staircase. I followed him up to his bedroom. He quickly and angrily stripped down to his boxers and got into bed.

I had barely done more than take off my makeup. I slipped off my heels and sat down on the bed right next to him. "Baby, do you want to talk about it?" I asked and he shook his head at me.

"I want to go to sleep, Sky."

"Don't take this out on me... What can I do to make you feel better?" I questioned, running my hand down his chest and back up. My brows furrowed and eyes wide with concern. He was really distraught. When we got in the car to go home he spent the first three minutes beating the steering wheel.

Damon opened his mouth for a second then snapped it shut. His big strong arms reached out and wrapped around me. He hugged me tight so I cuddled into his chest. I let him squeeze me, slipping my hands behind him to rub his back. "It's okay, darling," I whispered.