Chapter 12: Talk

Both Regina and Robin had been quiet ever since Daniella asked her question. "Euhm, did you not hear me? What do I need to know?" Daniella was still a bit wary of Robin, she couldn't help it, but she was curious. What were they talking about? Why were they talking instead of yelling? She saw them exchange glances. Eventually Regina spoke up: "I think you two need to have a little chat." She looked from Daniella to Robin, but settled her gaze on Robin as she said: "I'm going to take Roland outside so you two can talk." With that she left Daniella and Robin alone, and Daniella couldn't help but feel awkward. They hadn't talked in weeks and honestly she was still a bit angry. She took a deep breath and said: "Are you going to tell me?" "Yeah, no, I'll tell you." He seemed to take a minute to gather his thoughts and Daniella took that time to study him. He looked tired, he had bags under his eyes and his shoulders were tense. She felt a twinge of worry, it wasn't like him. After another minute he started talking. "When I saw you save Roland, I was shocked. And I felt betrayed because when we first met, you told me that you didn't have magic." "I didn't at that moment..." Robin interrupted her,"I know that now. But I was so blinded by my hatred of magic that I pushed you away. I said things I didn't mean and I regretted them the moment I said them." Daniella felt her eyes burn, but she willed herself not to cry. Though she was curious, "Why do you hate magic?" Robin took a deep breath and reased his head to look at her. "Magic is the reason Marian died." Daniella opened her mouth to say something, but Robin spoke again. "During her pregnancy, she became ill. I was about to lose both Roland and Marian, so I broke into Rumplestiltskin's castle and stole a wand. I used it on Marian and it worked, she was healthy for the rest of her pregnancy and a couple of months after. When the illness hit back full force, I didn't have the time to look for something else to cure her. She died only a few days later. I learned a lesson that day; magic always comes with a price. I had Roland, but I lost Marian." Daniella was speechless, she didn't know it had been that way. She knew Marian had died very shortly after Roland was born and that Robin had a hard time raising Roland on his own, but she hadn't known this. "I'm sorry that you had to go through that." Daniella felt that she had to say that. But other than that she didn't know what to say. While she was figuring out what to say, Robin had started talking again. "I don't expect you to forgive me, Daniella, I don't deserve it in the slightest. But I'll allow you to see Roland again." Daniella let out a breath of relief when she heard that and smiled brightly. "I'll also have a talk with the Merry Men, they haven't been treating you right." "There's no need, Robin. They made it very clear in the beginning that they didn't like magic and I kind of expected the way they reacted", Daniella said quietly. Robin nodded slightly but said: "I still need to talk to them." Daniella sighed but agreed. "Fine, but tell Little John that I missed him." "I will." Daniella didn't say anything else and Robin tool that as a sign that the conversation was finished. He turned around and walked through the door, but not without telling her quietly: "I've missed you, Danny." Daniella closed her eyes and whispered to an empty room: "I missed you too, daddy."
After she took some time to gather her emotions, she went to look for Regina and Roland. She found them in the courtyard playing, and Daniella found it hard to stop herself from laughing. Roland was running around and Regina was sitting on the bench, acting like the damsel in distress. It amused her because Regina was anything but that.
She watched them play for a few moments; the smile that was plastered on Roland's face as well as Regina's, Roland's laughter. But she also noticed the far away look Regina would get in her eyes whenever Roland wasn't looking. Daniella guessed it had something to do with Henry. Regina had told Daniella very little of him, but she knew the boy was Regina's son and that she had to leave him behind to bring everyone back to this land.

Flashback:
"There it is again", Daniella thought when she looked at Regina," that look." It seemed to be there everytime Roland was around or whenever she thought Daniella wasn't looking. But Daniella noticed. And she didn't want to pry but she couldn't help being a little curious.