Chapter 37: A visit

The days after the ball everything went back to normal. People went back to their routines and for the most part, so did Regina.
She looked for a way to get Rumple back from Zelena, though she knew that the chance they'd succeed was very little.
So then she started looking into al the spell books to find something that could stop her sister, something that she had been doing for the largest part of the year they had come back to the Enchanted Forest. Regina knew that the search was futile, but she couldn't stop looking because the alternative was the Dark Curse or her daughter and their was no way she'd let her daughter fight Zelena. Regina didn't care how selfish she was being. Daniella would not fight Zelena, not if she had any say in it.
Regina sighed and turned around, laying on her back. She turned her head to look at Robin, who had spent every night with her ever since they'd reunited, to see that he was sleeping soundly. Regina couldn't bring herself to do the same though.
Her mind just wouldn't shut up. It had been nearly a year since she'd arrived back here and she missed her son like crazy. Then there was the fact that Zelena might come after Daniella again because she had light magic that could hurt her. Another thing that kept running through her mind was that even though Rumple was alive, Zelena hadn't used the Dark One's power, not even once. So why the hell did she keep him captive?
The thing that worried her most though was the fact that might not be able to protect her new found family from whatever Zelena was planning. Regina had absolutely no idea what her sister was going to do, which meant she had no idea what she had to do to protect the ones she loved. Which absolutely terrified her.
The meeting with Elisabeth kept running through her head, even though she knew that the woman never blamed her for anything that had happened, Regina still felt guilty for pushing her away while she was turning into the Evil Queen. Elisabeth had done nothing wrong, but the rage and her hunger for revenge made her isolate herself and during that time she pushed away the people that she cared about and that cared about her.
Regina sat up and sighed, running a hand through her hair. She decided to give up on trying to sleep and pushed the sheets away. The cold hit her immediatly and she was reminded again that it was winter.
Trying to hold back a shiver, she slipped out of the bed and grabbed a robe. She pulled it on and let the warmth of the garment seep ino her bones.
She looked back at Robin to see that he had burried his head in the pillow that she had been lying on a few minutes ago. Regina smiled faintly before making her way to her balcony, hoping that the fresh air could help ease her mind.

It didn't, but did relax her a little. As she breathed in the cold air, she leaned against the railing of her balcony and looked down on the courtyard. Nobody was there, but then again it was the middle of the night and everyone was sleeping.
Regina gripped the railing more tightly as she took another glance downward. She remembered that one night before the curse, she was standing in the exact same position. The only difference being that she was wearing a black nightdress instead of a white one. She supposed that white wasn't really a colour that suited her, it was too innocent, too pure. It reminded her of a time that she would rather forget and so she didn't wear it. At least, not much.
Regina squeezed her eyes shut as tears gathered in her eyes. She hadn't worn a white blouse ever since they'd come back here. Ever since she destroyed Storybrooke and send Henry away.
The sadness she suddenly felt took ahold of her heart and made it hard to breathe. Regina gasped as she ran a hand down her face, whiping away the tears that had fallen down her cheeks. Though it was futile because the next ones were already making their way down in two endless rivers.
She cursed herself for being so weak, for letting herself break down. This wasn't a time for her to be weak, she couldn't be, she needed to defeat Zelena and she had to find some way to reach Henry. She had to- Regina was snapped out of her thoughts by a loud screech and looked up to see a flying monkey making it's way towards the castle.
Instantly on guard she made her way back into her chambers only to see Zelena hanging over Robin. Panic took ahold of her. She felt it running through her veins and she ran towards the bed where Robin was still sleeping.
"Get away from him!" Zelena looked up and Regina could just see the satisfied smile on her sisters face as she ran her green nails down Robin's face.
Regina waved her hand and threw Zelena across the room.
"What the hell are you doing here?", she all but yelled as she made her way towards Zelena. Her sister still looked at her with that mocking smile and anger started to make its way through her body, making her blood boil.
Regina waved her hand once again, only this time she transported the two of them to the courtyard, away from Robin.
"I won't ask you again, what are you doing here." Regina forced her voice to sound calm, though she could see that her sister saw through her act.
"Can't I just pay a visit to my little sister?" Regina glared, watching as Zelena starting walking.
"No, because every time you've 'payed me a visit', you either kidnapped my daughter or threatened me and everyone else in the kingdom. So no, you can't just pay me a visit, sis. Tell me why you're really here."
Regina watched as Zelena took a moment to look at her and than glanced in the direction of her chambers. She tensed as Zelena did that, but it didn't seem like Zelena had noticed.
"I never thought you and the outlaw would work it out. You know, relationships are all about communication, dear sister. But of course, you couldn't know that with your trackrecord of killing your lovers or getting them killed", Zelena teased her and Regina squeezed her fists to stop herself from doing anything stupid. She knew Zelena was baiting her and she wasn't going to fall for it, instead she started talking.
She relaxed her shoulders as she sat down on a bench.
"Well, I don't think I should follow your advice since your trackrecord with people in general isn't so good as well. Mother abandonned you and I'm guessing you foster parents weren't the nicest people in the word either. I'm guessing Rumple didn't think you were good enough and so you decided to take it all out on me." Regina saw Zelena get more and more angry with every word that she said and she couldn't deny that she felt a thrill of satisfaction because of it.
"You know nothing about me!", Zelena yelled and Regina didn't see it coming. Damn it, she should've seen it coming.
Zelena send a wave of magic her way and she wasn't fast enough to deflect. She readied herself for the impact, but it never came. Dread filled her as she heard someone behind her groan. She turned around just in time to see Daniella fall onto the ground, clutching her side.

A/N: Happy new year!!!! So I'm thinking of ending this book in a few chapters seeing that the missing year is almost over 😁I've also recieved an idea for a new book and I'm going to try and write a few chapters to see whether or not I like it. If anyone else has any ideas please tell me and if you guys want a sequel tell me as well so I can start working on that too. Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter! And keep the comments comming, I love reading them!