Chapter 35: The story of soulmates

The first thing Regina noticed when she woke up was that she was terribly comfortable and warm, which made her never want to leave the bed. She had slept through the night, something that hadn't happened much ever since they'd arrived back here. And when she remembered what had happened the day before, the smile that had formed on her lips brightened.
Robin. He had come back to her, had told her he still loved her and despite the fear that still made itself known every now and then, she found that her desire to be with him was stronger. She should've anticipated it, she'd never been able to turn down love once she found it.
She wanted to be with him, she wanted to know what it felt like to wake up to the person she loved. She had wanted this ever since she was little, had wanted it during her reign as the Evil Queen and she still wanted it now, even when her son was lost to her (probably forever).
Regina sighed and pushed her thoughts of Henry out of her mind. Now was not the time to think about him, it would only make her sad and this was not the moment to be sad, quite the contrary. So Regina shut of her mind as much as she could (which was quite the task) and focused on the feeling of Robin's arms around her, his stumble scratching her skin, giving her goosebumps all over. Regina shook her head.
The effect that man seemed to have on her still baffled her. Her carefully constructed walls around everything that made her Regina, seemed to crack every time he was near her. He'd been able to sneak past them without her even noticing, he hadn't even had to break them down, the man just found a small crack and crawled through. Nobody had ever been able to do that, not without knowing her before she was the Evil Queen or without being a child and no matter how much it frustrated her, Regina cared about him.
She hadn't thought anyone would be able to do that, except mayble her soulmate, but she had no idea who that man was. She'd never actually seen the man's face, only his tattoo and yet he still crossed her mind every now and then. She would be lying if she said that she hadn't thought about how different her life would be if she'd actually gone into the tavern that night.
Regina had heard many stories about soulmates, had even read a few out of curiousity and even though a lot of them had left some sort of impression on her, there was only one that stood out, that had captured her attention immediatly.

Flashback:
Regina sighed as she searched the library, looking for a way to defeat Pan. She shuddered. Even the name made her skin crawl with disgust and hatred. Oh how she hated that stupid brat. The teenager would pay for what he did to her son, that was certain.
Regina walk through the rows full of books, most of them where full of crap and not usefull at all, but she knew that some of them held important information. Information that she needed to defeat Pan, so she kept going, her heels clicking with every step she took until she suddenly came to a stop. Regina took a step back until her eyes caught a particular book.
As she grabbed it she felt a surge of power go trhough her, making her gasp and grab onto the bookcase to keep her balance. Regina stared at it, her eyes opened wide in shock as she watched golden letters start to form on the completly black cover.
Her search for a way to defeat Peter Pan completely forgotten, she read the title, feeling her heart beat faster as the words downed on her.
"The story of soulmates", she read out loud, the words laying a weight upon her shoulders, but she felt compelled to open the book anyway as if some force was pulling her towards it, asking her to open it.
And so she did.
End of flashback

Regina remembered being sucked into the story as if she was there when it happened. She had felt the loneliness and the dispair of the man who had been alone all his life. The pain of when his soul was being ripped apart, splitting it in two pieces. The curiousity and wonder when he saw that the piece that hadn't gone back into his body, had formed a new one. She'd felt the love that the man had felt towards the woman, it was so strong and pure that it had almost made her cry.
And even though the story had had a great impact on the view she had on the concept of soulmates, the ending of book was what had stuck with her the most.
"Every 100 years a new pair of soulmates will be born. Two people that will love eachother with everything they have once they cross paths. A connection that will tie the two of them together and that can never be broken. A child will be born from this love. A child that will have the strongest light magic that has ever been seen upon this earth."
She had learned them by heart, had read them over and over again that day, not believing a word yet unable to stop that little spark of hope in her chest. If that prophesy was true, than she would be able to have another child, even after the curse she had placed upon herself that made her unable to have anymore children of her own.
If that prophesy was true, than her child would have light magic just as Daniella had, not the dark and twisted magic that she had been trained in.
So yes, the idea of finding her soulmate was tempting, but she couldn't walk away from Robin. Regina had fallen for him and she was not letting him go, she was never letting him go.
Especially when she was lying next to him like this. His arm was still around her as he hugged her close and Regina sighed as she closed her eyes once again, letting Robin's scent and warmth calm her and lull her to sleep.
No, she would never let him go.

*A/N: Here's the new chapter!! It appears that I did find some spare time to write this, so I hope you enjoyed it and thank you for all the lovely comments!!