Chapter 28: Reliving the past

*A/N: Mentions of rape, if you don't want to read this part then scroll down until this part is over!

Regina didn't know how long she'd been unconcious, but it must have been at least a few hours, since it was already dark outside. Her whole body ached and Regina groaned as she sat up, the sheets that had been covering her falling down as she did so.
She sighed and looked around. Her breath caught in her throat as she realised where she was. Her entire being filled with disbelieve and fear. She raised her hand, looking for the ring she had disposed of a long time ago and her heart started to race as she saw it on her ring finger, right where it had been during the years of her marriage.
"How is this possible", she asked herself as she got out of the bed. Grabbing the dress that was lying on the floor beside her, she put it on as quickly as she could and made her way down the halls.
She just had to get away from that room, she had to get out of this dress and she had to get away from the memory of her wedding night. She had to get away, now.

Granny had finally been able to convince Daniella to visit Robin, who was fine after Regina had healed him three days before. The girl had put on a fight, of course, Granny hadn't expected anything else. She was so simular to her mother it scared her sometimes.
Daniella had finally relented after Granny told her Roland had been asking for her, as well as Lucas.
"I'll notify you as soon as your mother is awake, child", she had promised her and while Daniella had still looked sceptical, she'd relented and left. That was two hours ago.
Regina still hadn't woken up and Granny sat down next to her. She clasped one of the Queen's hands between her own and sighed.
They had always had a strange relationship, one that had been important to her, one that was still important to her.
She'd known Regina for a very long time. She'd been there when she had to marry the King. She'd been there for her after her wedding night and she'd been there for her as she mourned the child she had lost.
Granny had cared a great deal for the young Queen. Though that relationship had faded after the arrival of the Evil Queen. Regina pushed her away everytime she tried to get close and after a while she stopped trying. She'd moved out of the castle with her granddaughter and bought a small cottage at the edge of a village. She hadn't heard from Regina again after that, but that didn't mean she had stopped caring. She'd always had a soft spot for her and that hadn't gone away.
Granny was pulled out of her thoughts by a whimper that had escaped Regina. She sat up straighter and looked at the woman's face. Tears were streaming down her face as she let out a small sob. Granny became worried as the sobs became louder and more frequent and she stood up. She grabbed a cloth and whiped away the tears that had fallen down the Queen's cheeks.
"What are you dreaming about, little one?", she mumbled to herself as she grabbed Regina's hand again and rubbed soothing circles on top of it.
"Don't worry, little one. You're safe", she whispered quietly, but firmly. She repeated this multiple times until she saw that Regina started to calm down.
She went back to her original position when she saw Regina had mostly calmed down, but never stopped holding her hand, hoping to offer some sort of support for whatever she was going through right now.

Regina was starting to panic. She had figured out that somehow, she was reliving her wedding night, but it wasn't quite right. The worst part of it was already over, she had woken up after it, so what was this about?
As she ran down the corridors of the castle, she noticed the brighter colours that were on the walls once again. She gotten rid of them and had replaced everything with dark, menacing colours. It had been her way to forget what had happened in this castle during the years she was married to the King and to see those colours again, made her stomach churn.
She kept running, and running. Her lungs started to burn, her legs started to get tired with the effort, but she didn't stop until she reached her own chambers. She ran inside and slammed the doors shut, seperating her from the rest of the castle.
Running towards her wardrobe, she chose a random dress and started changing in front of her mirror. She frowned as she saw the bruises decorating body. She ran a finger over them and winced in pain.
She averted her eyes from the mirror and put on the dress she had chosen, not wanting to keep looking at the things her husband had done to her.
Regina walked away from the mirror and sat down on the couch that stood in front of the fire place. She had to find out what this was about. The last thing she remembered before passing out was healing Robin and hearing someone screaming her name. Everything afterwards was just black. She obviously wasn't awake yet, at least not in the real world, she was dreaming this. She fainted and her mind was showing her this, it was forcing her to relive one of the worst moment of her life. But why?
Regina was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard footsteps. They were heavy and slow and Regina recognised them immediatly. Standing up, she immediatly straightened her dress and turned towards the doors of her chambers. She prepared herself for what was to come, even though she knew she probably couldn't.
The doors slammed open and she let out a whimper at the sight of her husband standing behind them, looking pretty drunk. Tears filled her eyes as she took a small step backwards, trying to get away from the inevitable.
She tensed as Leopold took a step closer to her and started ranting about his dead wife. How his wife was so much better than she was and how she could never be replaced.
"Don't worry...", a soft voice said, one that Regina vagely recognised. She looked around, but nobody was inside the room except for her and Leopold.
"Don't worry, little one...", the voice said again, a little bit louder this time and Regina relaxed slightly as she recognised the voice as Granny's.
"Granny?", she asked, her voice soft. Regina didn't notice her husband anymore, she concentrated completely on the voice of the woman that had always been able to calm her down, to sooth her worries and pain.
She longed to be in Granny's arms once again, like she had so many years ago, but realised she couldn't unless she woke up.
She focused on Granny's voice again, hearing it louder this time. She felt a warmth surrounding her and she surrendered to it, taking her away from the nightmare that had been her wedding night.