Chapter 24

New chapter!! Yay!!

If you don't want to wait for me to upload what's available then you can go on fanfiction.net and search the name of the story. She's only a few chapters ahead on that site and I don't know when she'll upload again.

I hope you like this chapter! Xx

___________________________

I rose my hand, the first time I had done such a thing since starting high school.

"Yes Sarelle?" Mr Powers queried with apprehensive confusion. He found me unnerving. It showed in the way he shifted on his feet when he spoke to me, and the way his eyes glanced ever so slightly to the nearest exit when I entered the room. It may have been because of my nature, or it could have been because of the unwanted attraction he felt when he saw me. Either way he exhibited all of these signs as I locked my eyes on his and asked to leave the room.

"I'm not feeling very well," I replied when he asked why. I was already rising from my seat when he nodded his ascent.

I cast a look towards Alice and, as I expected, her eyes were glued on me, full of questions that for the time being would remain unanswered.

Before I stepped out the door I looked furtively to Alfie. As they often had these past few weeks, his green eyes watched me with curiosity and a sight that seemed to see more than was truly there. His gaze dropped the instant he caught me looking, and I shook away the thoughts that told me I would have to be more careful around him.

You have to deal with Dylan first. My mind reminded me, as if I was capable of forgetting. I could still smell him in the corridor, that ever youthful scent of floridian sunshine mixed with the cheap acrylic smell of the suit he wore. It was a juxtaposition that danced on my taste buds.

I tried to dampen down the wonder that grasped at reasons for why Dylan would be here. There would be no good to come from it. It was this intrigue that led my absentminded feet down the corridor, trailing his scent as if it could lead me back to the memories we once had. Back through time to the days when we were teenagers on a moon drenched roof talking of photography and the future.

I stopped short when I heard his voice just around the corner. Its timbre was marginally lower than when he was sixteen, and more inquisitive than it had been all those months ago when I checked up on him and his family.

"I read that you offer a music scholarship here. Is that particularly competitive?" he asked innocently.

"Oh yes, we have been lucky enough to have generous donors which has enabled us to have a fully equipped auditorium and soundproofed practice areas. As you can imagine they've gained a lot of attention and we've been fortunate enough to have some remarkable students because of it."

"Oh really, anyone I should look out for?" Dylan teased.

"Well I don't want to brag but there's a couple of students here who I wouldn't be surprised if they went on to play all the top classical venues. In fact one girl joined us just last month from England. Odd family circumstances but she has an amazing talent. Her brother, no stepbrother... Or is it cousin. Or half Cousin. I don't know but there's a whole group of them, and one of the younger boys is incredible according to our piano teacher."

I listened raptly as the Principle all but spilled our secrets to the one man who had the tenacity and time to unravel them. I could have killed him if the thought of it didn't make my throat burn.

"Well you certainly sound like you've got it all together." I wondered if the Principle heard the bored tone in Dylan's voice. Although given the pride he had when talking about the merits of the school I doubted he heard anything but enthusiasm.