Chapter 25

Hey! So I might stop writing the author's notes at the beginning of each chapter because I never know what to say....

Anyway, my birthday is this Tuesday (September 2nd). I'll be 18 and I'm not ready. :(

I'm out of things to say here so enjoy this chapter!

___________________________________

5th February 2048.

The days went swiftly once the decision had been made. Before I had noticed time going by it was Monday again. Three days had dissolved into the past like sand running through an hourglass. I kept my promise. I didn't go to Dylan. I didn't even mention the argument we'd had. I merely sat in my room, going through the Floridian days in my diary and looking at the photos I had of Dylan and me. I tried writing him a letter but thought better of it. It would have just been a slap in the face to those I loved. I had promised them I wouldn't try to contact him and unlike the many promises I'd made in the past, I planned to keep this one. I had to say goodbye to him and goodbye to everything I once knew. It was something I had tried so hard to hold on to, to the point that memories from my past became more important than those of my present. The people of my present. It couldn't continue any longer.

With a defeated shrug I gathered the photos neatly and returned them to the box in my top drawer along with the others. School would be starting soon and as always I would need to meet the Cullens at the main road at the end of private drive.

"See you later, Tinkerbelle!" Garrett called from the sofa as I made my way out the door, my book bag slung on my shoulder. I wondered what football game he had bets on this time as was a regular occurrence. He had a habit of betting on the underdogs, something Kate teased him for.

As I reached the road, one of the Cullens cars streaked past. I noted Rosalie and Emmett in the front while Bella, Ren, and Jacob sat in the back.

Their volvo pulled up and I climbed in the front with Edward. The tension was palpable, made worse by Jasper's gift seeming to amplify it.

"What's going on?" I asked as Edward's foot hit the gas. It was a good thing we all lived so far out of town otherwise someone may have heard the way the tyres squealed on the tarmac.

"Just a little family dispute, but it will all be sorted out soon. Won't it, Edward?" Alice said sweetly, although I noted how her voice tightened as she directed it at Edward.

His hands clenched the steering wheel tighter. My own twitched in my lap as I fought the urge to place it soothingly over his on the gear stick.

"She had no right to talk to me like that, Alice. I'm her father," he growled through gritted teeth.

"You can't fault her on her desire to protect her family," Jasper added, calm pulsating off him. "Although I'll admit her methods are a bit drastic."

Dylan's face flashed in my mind coupled with Ren's words yesterday. You have to get rid of him... I won't have anything putting my family at risk.

"What has she done?" I gasped, my eyes widening as I look between my three companions. We were closer to town now, and I noticed that Edward was visible tense from having to adhere to the speed limit. It was obvious he wanted nothing more than to put his foot down and just drive.

"She hasn't done anything," Alice chipped in hastily, obviously aware of my panic.

"Thanks to you!" Edward snapped. "If you hadn't been watching, who knows what she would have done."

Thoughts of Dylan dead flashed through my head and with them a fear clenched the pit of my stomach.

"Let me out," I spluttered frantically. I had to make sure Dylan was safe. No matter that Ren's plans had been thwarted, it wasn't to say she wouldn't try again. It was already evident that she knew of ways to dodge the gifts of her family. If she was able to hide her thoughts from Edward then it was highly possible she knew how to avoid triggering Alice's gift.