Chapter 4 - Checking Up On Dylan

Vas happenin'! xD Thank you for your comments on the last chapter! The title of this one says it all! I hope you guys like it! Please comment and vote! (: - LongLiveMusic17

P.s. This chapter is dedicated to kitcat96 because she read the first one in 3 days and I loved her comment on the last chapter. (:

P.p.s. Think I could get 40 votes? (: xx

___________________________________________________________________________

It had been just over a week since I left that house in Jackson, and still I had found no real peace of mind. I had visited old friends and explored cities yet still I found no vent for the busyness within. As I ran I let my mind wander away from the havoc the Cullens' appearance was creating and instead thought of the person I was running towards, the one who had been an unlikely but strong link back to my human life.

14th June 2023, Florida.

The balmy summer air sat around me, still and thick. At least now my skin couldn't sweat or bloom with a blush. I didn't crave the cold of the air-conditioning or an icy glass of water. All in all everything was different from when I was last here. Just a month ago my human self would have been twisting and turning in the sheets of the bed I could see through the window. Yet here I was with one hundred and fifteen years of immortality behind me. I didn't think I'd ever get used to the fact that I could catch up with my human self, visit the same places I once had and know that I was there just moments before. I'd never seen my human self, mainly from fear of what may happen. That and knowledge that my human self had never seen me. I'd already lived through that life to know that much...but maybe, someday in the shadows, I could catch a glimpse of my old human self. Just a glimpse.

I shifted my feet on the branch I was perched on, positioning myself away from the moonlight. Out of sight, out of mind. All the while I keep my eyes trained on the little white house in front of me. I could hear their breathing, my three friends that I had to leave. Renee, Phil, Dylan, each one unaware that I was here. Maybe one day I would be able to show myself to them but tonight would not be that moment.

I watched curiously as Dylan's light flicked on and his body shifted on the bed making the springs creak and protest. In slow and steady movements he wheeled his body around and sat on the edge of the bed, scrubbing his hands through his unruly hair and across his face. Even from here I could see he looked different—tired. This wasn't the first night he'd woken up before dawn.

He heaved himself up and walked across his room to something on the wall next to his door. From here I could make out pictures, collections of friends and family, bands and artists. They were memories to him, they must be.

I curled my hand around the trunk as I leaned forward with curiosity.

Dylan seemed to stand for hours just staring at something on that wall before he bent to slip a pair of shoes onto his feet and left his room.

The next light to turn on was the one in the spare room, revealing Dylan again, standing in his plaid pyjama bottoms and white t shirt. He's just sitting on the bed, his hands brushing over the white cotton and sending his soft fragrance towards me with every sweep. He smelt of sandalwood and something sharper. It was a masculine scent, delectable, and enticing in all the wrong ways.

I stopped my breathing in the hope the scent would lose its persuasive power. I didn't want to hurt him and even more I didn't want to want to be near him. It was too dangerous for both of us.

Eventually Dylan moved from the bed, going to open the window with determination.

I smiled as I watched him clamber out of the window and weave his way up towards the roof. I could remember so clearly what it had felt like to do the same. I could remember how the moon had seemed to shine all the brighter as I sat up there with Dylan and my camera, talking and taking pictures.