Chapter 28

I'm really sorry to say, but this is the last chapter I have. The author hasn't posted on the original site, which means I can't post after this. I emailed her once but she never replied. I'll keep checking, but if she doesn't update by a certain time then this story will remain incomplete. I'm so sorry guys. :(

________________________

"Why did you do it?" Edward's words sprang at me before I had even had the chance to step out of the shadows and absorb the scenery of the cliff top.

He was still in his shirt and trousers, but they seemed crumpled. As if his turbulent mood had somehow altered the very fibre in the fabric.

"It was harmless, Edward. It was just a kiss between friends." I said with a weary sigh. I should have known this was coming. He had seemed far too intent on Alfie and I throughout the evening.

"It looked like more to me."

"Then you need your eyes testing." I snapped; frustration rife in my words. "I'm sharply becoming irritated by this Edward. "Your constant accusations and hissy fits!"

His eyebrows shot up in incredulity "Hissy fits?"

"Yes, hissy fits." I shrieked with exasperation. How could a man so smart be so dumb. "Pointless bouts of jealousy over nothing. Do you see me pacing and fuming over the way you and Bella are together? Do you not think it affects me just the same to see you everyday, touching at the lunch table or whispering away in the corridor?" I glared at him as he looked at me dumbstruck.

"You never show..."

"Because you're not mine, Edward, you're hers." I looked up at the stars, looking at how they met the dazzling lights of the city below but disappeared from view in our little bubble of darkness. This safe haven. "This is the only place you can ever be mine and mine alone. This little bubble where the outside world doesn't seem to exist. That's it." I drifted to the edge of the cliff, looking out over the bustling streets and buzz of life below us. The quiet hum of civilisation. "I'm a time traveller by nature but when I come here I feel like I can go back to that time in Belmore without ever having to use my gift. Those months when it was just us and we were happy."

His hand caught mine as he turned me towards him, leaving reality behind me. "I may not be able to travel through time, but I don't need to. I just have to look at you, Sarelle and I'm right there." His eyes softened as his gaze met mine."In the meadow on those summer days, feeling you beside me as we sat on the piano bench, or walking with you through Belmore. Dancing with you in Rochester. Walking through the park in Chicago." With each memory I could almost see them play out in his eyes. Watch as the emotions flickered across his irises. "The night I proposed on the balcony, and the moment you said goodbye to me in the hospital. Memories I thought would be lost forever but have come flooding back over the years. Just one look and it's just us. If just for a moment."

He pulled me towards him as his fingertips grazed my cheek. For a moment I let myself just feel his touch, just to try and remember how it had felt when I was human. How my heart would skip a beat the second he touched me, or how my blood would rush when I caught him looking.

"I know I don't deserve to be here with you..." He shook his head as his bottom lip slightly trembled, "I don't even deserve your smiles... Not anymore. Not after what I put you through. I can't forget the way you looked at the wedding."

"Edward, where is this all coming from?" I was worried now, because he was literally breaking into small pieces in front of me.

"I left you behind. It had only been fifty years, I should have waited," he whimpered as he gazed deeply into my eyes, "I hurt you. I don't deserve this kind of attention." I began feeling him move away, and I panicked. I panicked because I didn't want him thinking that I didn't need him in my life, or he didn't deserve to be in my life because that wasn't the case. I gripped onto him with all my might, causing him to stay in place as I shook my head.