Chapter 7

It was the early morning of the next day when they arrived. Cosmo's eyelids were heavy, and Willow was already almost asleep. It was only Cosmo who kept him awake.

"We've arrived!" He exclaimed, seeing a small wooden hut on a plain next to a forest. "Thank you," he said to the driver.

"You're welcome," he muttered, reaching into the car's pocket and taking out a box of cigarettes.

They went out, their backs not over their bags, but clutched in their hands. The hut was still wet from the rain.

Cosmo pulled Willow up the porch steps, then looked back at Mr. Turner. A cigarette was burning inside his mouth.

"A key?"

"There is none. Nobody else is here but you."

"Thanks," he pressed the doorknob and heard the car tires screeching.

"I'm going to sleep," Willow announced immediately, walking towards a random room and searching for a bedroom.

Cosmo looked around. The interior was gorgeous in an odd way. He had always thought his own house was beautiful, but it was nothing like that. Everything was minimalistic, yet polished. There was a yellow couch and a wooden table in the corner.

After a bit of exploring he discovered there were two bedrooms – a smaller one and a larger one. Willow had fallen asleep in the first, for which Cosmo was grateful.

He was full of fatigue himself. The anticipation and the lack of sleep mixed into exhaustion. But h wouldn't sleep. The curiosity beat the tiredness.

So he headed for the kitchen. To his delight, the pantry was full of food. By then he had run out of rooms to explore, so he went outside.

The sun was rising. Behind the vast forest, only a small bit of it was visible. The sky was still purplish, and he walked around the woods. On the other side from the house, there were a few mountains. Cosmo was in a valley between them and the forest.

The shade of grass was neon and bright, and in the dim, poor illumination of dawn, that was still visible. If it weren't wet, he would sit right on it.

It was obvious that this place was uninhabited. The house was the only mark of human presence, and it only seemed to ruin the serenity.