one

drip
drip
drip

was it the sound of water dripping down from the pipes?

drip
drip
drip

or maybe the constant state of anticipation?

drip
drip
drip

or perhaps it was the loneliness.

maybe it was all of them that drove me insane.

everything reminded me of him, the water josh gave me three times a day being one of them. i always stared at the water before pouring it onto the rough cement of the basement, thinking it was some cruel mind game that josh made that makes me think that it's okay to for drink water, the same thing that killed my previous kidnapper

it wasn't okay.

"y/n" josh called before opening the basement door that leads upstairs. josh walked over to the table, and saw that all the food that he left me days before were left uneaten, and that the water glasses empty with the obvious stain of water on the cement below the table.

he sighed, walking over to the corner of which i was sitting in. he picked me up gently. "let me go!" i weakly thrashed in his arms, trying to get out of his grasp.

he could kill me, he could lock me in a closet and leave me for dead. he could do anything.

i screamed and screamed as he carried me up the stairs and into the kitchen. he set me down on the counter.

"go away!" i screeched. josh hurried to the refrigerator, where he pulled out an assortment of fruits in a bowl and he placed them next to me.

"please, y/n, eat"

"you killed him, you killed f/n, why don't you go ahead and kill me?" i yelled. if josh was affected by my words he didn't show it, he just quietly ate a piece of watermelon.

"so you're just going to act like it doesn't matter?" i continued angrily.

"you matter to me. now please, eat some fucking fruit"

i frowned, placing the bowl on my lap and eating handfuls of fruit, and drinking two glasses of water that josh gave me.