III. Lost Cause

CHAPTER 1X03

III. Lost Cause

"His pulse is weak." Clarke's voice sounded.

Clarissa didn't look away from the boy laying down in front of her, but heard her sister's voice just fine. Jasper moaned loudly and more voices shouted from downstairs. In fact, the comments were more annoying than Jasper himself.

"Don't mind them, we'll get through this, okay?" Clarissa whispered to her friend's body, "I promise you that."

"Can you fetch clean water?" Clarke asked and she nodded, "Thank you."

Clary got up and went downstairs to the base of the dropship. When she went out, and the wind wiped the blonde locks out of her face, she allowed herself to take a dee breath.

"No, no!"

Guided by worry and supplication, Clarissa followed the sound. A girl was lying against a tree, and she quickly touched her gently, kneeling beside her with care.

"Hey, it's ok. It was just a dream."

"I'm Charlotte." She said.

"I'm Clarissa, but you can call me Clary." She replied, rubbing the girl's arm affectionately, "You know, I'm afraid too. You want to talk about it?"

"It's... my parents." Her eyes began to fill with water, "They were executed and I see them in my dreams and –."

"I understand. My father was executed too." Clary confessed, looking at her, "And how did you end up here?"

"They took my parents' things to the redistribution center and I lost my head." Charlotte explained, "They said I assaulted a guard."

"I was also accused of sort of assaulting a guard," Clarissa whispered, knowing it had been far worse than that.

"Why?" The girl was curious.

"Because my father had been executed and a very important person to me had been arrested and I was... very mad. I don't know. I only knew I needed her. But, you know, he hit me first." She felt the tears stuck in her eyes and it felt like a weight had been left behind. She never told anyone about it. Never, "Can you keep this secret? Only ours."

"Sure, Clary." Charlotte agreed.

"Look," She pointed at the sky, "do you see that bright star there?" The girl nodded, "It's the Ark orbiting above us. I guess whatever happened up there, it's the past, and we have a second chance, here on the ground. Guess we're worth saving."

"Do you really believe that?" Charlotte asked, "That we are worth saving?"

"Right now," Clarissa pulled the girl to her chest, running her hands through her hair, tied in a braid, and kept looking at the Ark, "that's the only thing keeping me going. Believing in things that aren't to be believed."

. . .

"The grounders cauterized the wound."

"They saved his life." Clarissa smiled.

"To serve as a living bait." Out of optimism, Finn called their attention, "It's not the Garden of Eden."

"He's infected. He may be septicemic." Clary warned her sister. She then turned to Monty, "Did you get the bracelets to contact the Ark? Monty?"