XX. Victorious

CHAPTER 1X20

XX. Victorious

The gate was open.

The gunners stepped outside the wall first, eyes alert for any sign of Grounders. Clarissa had a gun on her shoulder too, but she was staying behind. She had to make sure everyone had leaved. Even Bellamy. There was no idea she was letting him stay behind.

He looked over to her once the crowd washed out of his sight, and then he looked down at the ground in sorrow. Clarissa was just as sad about leaving that place as he was, that had become their home. It always would be somehow.

Clarissa finally gave in, and approached him.

"I like to think we did good here."

"Eighteen dead." Bellamy had the number very clear in his mind, "You sure?"

"We did the best we could for them." Clary told him what she had been telling herself, "The other eighty two are alive. For now. So yea, we did good. The best good we could."

"I don't want to go, Clary." He sounded scared.

She faced him, and even tho they weren't in the best of places for her to confort him now, she still tried to, "We go and we live. Everyone is worth saving."

"Even me?" Even after what I did to you? Bellamy almost added.

Clarissa sighed, "Even you."

She turned her back on him, exiting the camp. It hurt to leave it behind too, but she liked to thing that was the right thing to do. Of course Clarissa wanted to stay and fight for her people, for their home. But that was the dreamy girl still inside of her talking.

Octavia was leading the way, she knew that ground better than any of them, because of what Lincoln had taught her. Clary couldn't help but feel proud of her best friend, they all come a long way, but Octavia had the most courageous one.

"Hey," Clarke touched her elbow, calling her attention.

"How is Raven holding up?"

"Not great." She felt the need to add something, "Clary, you did good."

Clarissa swallowed, "Yea, I've been trying to convince myself of that too."

"I know you wanted to fight but we would never win." Clarke tried to make her sister feel better about leaving the dropship, "Deep down Bellamy knows that too."

"Bellamy was right about something, we are cowards." She confessed, "But this way...This is how we survive."

"I never meant for this to fall on your back, Clary. The leading."

"I never asked for it either, Clarke." Clarissa replied, never looking at her sister – her eyes only on her surroundings, the gun on her hands, "But I had the strength trust upon me."

"No," Clarke's simple word forced her sister to face her for the first time, "you were already strong. That's why they trusted you, Clary. And I'm proud of you."

Suddenly, Octavia stopped.

At first, Clarissa was confused but when the sound of drumming got louder and louder, she knew why Octavia was frozen in place. Before she could shout out to her people, something came flying through the trees as it stabbed itself into the head of a boy.

It was Jasper who shouted, "Grounders!"

There were a lot of shouts, screams. Everyone started running back. Clarissa was pulled away from her own terrifying thoughts by Octavia, and suddenly they were following everyone back to the camp. They had to get away from the grounders.