1 - First Day Back

School had always been rough for Evan. People everywhere, loud noises, chaotic teens. High school hadn't been any better. His social awkwardness kept him from making friends with any of his peers. The only two kids who he was capable of talking to was Jared Kleinman, his family friend who only was friends with him because his parents were paying for his car insurance, and Alana Beck, who referred to Evan as her acquaintance. Alana was an... interesting person. She was the definition of overachiever and one of the smartest people Evan knew. So as you can see, school was interesting for Evan Hansen.

                             •  •  •

  Evan woke up suddenly at the sound of his alarm clock yelling at him. He rubbed his eyes, not wanting to go to school. He took two anxiety pills and got out of bed. He went to his small closet, pulling out a baby blue button up shirt and tan khakis. Blue was the only color that he looked good in apparently, so most of his shirts were blue. His mother knocked three times on his door, startling Evan.

  "Come in!" Evan called, looking at the door and waiting for his mother to enter. Heidi opened the door, smiling. She was in her nurse scrubs already and had a large purse in her right hand.

  "Are you ready?" She asked, still smiling at Evan.
  "Yeah I just need to- umm- get my backpack." He responded, hurriedly grabbing his backpack and homework he finished last night. He threw it over his shoulder and walked to his mother, Heidi smiling.

  "Did you take your pills?" She quickly asked before he walked out. Evan nodded, the two walking out of his room and towards the door. Evan put a pair of grey tennis shoes on, walking out the door to their car parked outside. Evan walked around and got into the passenger's seat as his mother threw her bag in the backseat and sat in the driver's seat.

  The car ride to the high school was quiet. Mostly Heidi humming along to the radio and Evan looking outside. As they got closer, Evan watched the kids who were walking to school laugh with their friends and race to the crosswalk to make it across the street in time. His mother drove up to the school, stopping at the front doors.

  "Have a good day, honey. And remember, there's Chinese food in the fridge so heat it up for about 40 seconds tonight." Heidi told Evan as he began to get out.

  "Love you, Mom." Evan responded, slamming the car door closed. He walked off to the side up to the front doors of the school. It was the first day back since winter break, so everyone was either greeting their friends or sluggishly walking up to the school. Evan whipped around when he heard his named called, seeing Jared walking over.

  "Sup, Evan!" Jared grabbed his shoulder, "Act like we're cool, my mom's watching. Remember the car insurance thing? She wanted to see me interact with you." Evan laughed a little. 

  "Alright, Jared." He walked in, Jared looking around at the kids in the halls.
  "Man I didn't miss this school at all." He inhaled deeply through his nose. "Can't you smell the teen angst and sweat in the air?" Evan laughed a little. "Oh come on man. That was funny." Jared turned to his locker. "Dangit I forgot my code." His expression fell and he turned to Evan. Evan pulled out a sticky note.

  "04, 39, 24." Evan read aloud. This was a normal thing for Jared, since he never really felt like memorizing his combination. "See y-you in science, Jared." Evan walked to his own locker, staring at the ground. He opened it, putting his bag in and grabbing the stuff he needed for first period. English. Evan was good at writing on paper, but saying it aloud was his downfall. He would freeze up if he was required to read a poem or story aloud. He would stutter and have a mental breakdown. Thankfully the teacher understood how he felt and never called on him for that sort of thing. As he was walking to class, he heard someone yelling. He looked over, seeing a tall boy with bushy brown hair looking at a group of popular boys.

  "Wow, I'm surprised you're not dead yet, then again, you're probably too scared to kill yourself." A boy from the group said, laughing at the boy who was alone.

  "Honestly, I think you're the one too scared. You're the one who grabbed all your cronies to come over here and yell at me. Let's see, why would you do that? Oh yeah, because you're afraid I'm going to hurt you. It's your way of sizing me up." The boy yelled at the group in front of him.

  "Fuck you, emo!" The leader of the group yelled.
  "Fuck you, too." The boy yelled back, a teacher seeing this and rushing over. The teacher separated them, the kid disappearing in the crowd as the bell rang. Evan panicked, walking into English. The entire time during class, Evan couldn't stop thinking about the boy. He was brave enough to yell back at the popular boys. The football players. Those guys could really mess a person up. They're strong and can easily start rumors and ruin your social life, too. How had Evan not heard about this boy before? Was he knew? No, because the group knew about him. Was he from another middle school and Evan just never noticed? All this was so new and confusing for the anxious Junior. The thought distracted Evan the entire period. He made a plan to ask Jared during lunch, since Jared was good at knowing the people of the school. The bell rang and woke Evan from his trance. Oh shit. He didn't listen to anything the teacher said. He shrugged it off, gathering his items and walking out the door before anyone else.

                               •  •  •

  A few periods passed and eventually the lunch bell rang. Evan pushed his way through the crowds to his locker, grabbing his lunch. He always refused to eat whatever the school was selling. He saw Jared, walking over.

  "IHaveSomethingToTalkToYouAbout. C-Can we sit together" Evan awkwardly said.
  "Chill, Evan. And sure." Jared responded. The two walked to lunch, Evan anxiously messing with the lower part of his shirt with one hand. They sat down at an empty table.

  "Okay. What is it?" Jared asked, curious.
  "Okay so I saw this umm fight earlier between a few boys and umm... therewasthisoneboywhoI'veneverseenandIfiguredyouknewhimsoIthoughtI'dcometoyouforhelp." Evan got it all out in one quick line, Jared taking a second to process what he said.

  "What'd the kid look like?" Jared asked.
  "Well h-he wore a lot of black, you see. And umm he had a black hoodie and umm bushy-ish brown h-hair that probably hasn't been umm washed in a few days I guess and had black umm jeans and umm... combat sort of boots?" Evan managed to get out. Jared's face dropped.

  "What did he do to you?" Jared said with worry. Evan was confused.
  "What? No he didn't do anything to me." Evan exclaimed, worried. Jared sighed with relief.
  "The kid you saw is Connor Murphy. You know. The kid who threw the printer in like 2nd grade. Stay away from that guy. He's like a ticking time bomb." Jared explained to Evan, Alana walking over and setting her stuff down.

  "Do you guys have the science homework? I would like to share it with my acquaintance since I already turned mine in." She said with a blank expression.

  "We got it today..." Jared said, laughing a little.
  "Oh I know. I finished it in the 5 minutes we had left in class." She said as if it was normal. Jared handed his homework to her after getting it out.
   "You better give it back." Jared called to her as she got up and walked to a blonde girl with long hair.

   Later, lunch ended and the rest of the day slowly carried on. When it finally ended, Evan went to his locker, grabbed his things, and walked out of the school. He took the longer, scenic route home, staring at all the trees around him. When he arrived home, he heated up some food as an early dinner. It was a Lo Mein with chicken and he ate it in his room. He set the plate aside and slowly drifted to sleep while watching a movie on his phone.

Author's Note: Thank you for reading my first chapter in my fanfiction. Just for future reference, this will include depression, drugs, maybe some gay stuff, self harm, and suicide since those are crucial parts of the background of the characters in Dear Evan Hansen. I hope you enjoyed it and keep reading!

Also, since this is the school year before Evan's Senior year, Connor has sort of bushy hair and it isn't long yet. Also, Evan's arm isn't broken yet, since that happens over the summer.