Chapter 1: Sophie

Word count: 831 words.

"Sophie?"
Linh entered my room.
"No. Just don't."
"Sophie, please-"
"No! Shut up!"
"If you'd just give me a chance to explain!"
"Linh! Do I need to repeat myself?" I screamed. "Go away!"
Linh sighed. "Fine. Just fine. Think what you want to. I don't care."
She stormed out of my room, furious. I cried into my pillow. What a week, I thought miserably. I just wish...it never had happened.
What never had happened, you may ask? It started with a simple game of truth or dare...
-------------
(A\N): When you see the "-------" that means it's a flashback.
--------------
Edaline entered the kitchen looking very flustered.
"Mom?" I asked. "Is everything okay?"
"Yes, Sophie, honey, I'm just a little overwhelmed." She replied distractedly.
"Overwhelmed? Why?"
"Well. Why don't you come over here, and I'll tell you the plan for the next week." Edaline sat down in a chair. I sat down in another one, still confused.
"So your father and I have decided to do some remodeling." Edaline said slowly.
"Like...on this house?"
"Yes, of course this house! What other house would it be? Anyway, it's not about you, but we can't have you around the house this week. So we'd like to have you stay at Everglen for the week." She said.
An entire week with Biana? Yes!
"Aside from the makeovers, it sounds like a lot of fun." I smiled.
Edaline smiled back. "Your stuff is already packed and at Everglen. You just have to say goodbye to Grady. He's in the back."
"I'll go right now." I hurried outside. Sure enough, my father was out trying to get an animal I'd never seen to eat. Shaking it off, I walked up to him cautiously in case this new animal was hostile.
"Are you going to Everglen now?" Grady asked me, grinning.
"Yes! I just wanted to say goodbye before I left."
"Bye honey." He gave me a hug.
As I pulled away, he smiled again. "Well, what are you waiting for? Off you go!"
I laughed and hurried off to say goodbye to Edaline.
"Bye Sophie! Have fun!" She blew me a kiss as I light leaped away.
{*•*•*•*}
When I arrived at Everglen, everyone was waiting for me. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone.
Della, Alden, Biana, Tam, Linh, Keefe, and Dex were all there in the living room where I entered. They greeted me briefly when I noticed...Fitz.
Oh god.
Blood rushed to my face from thinking about the last time I saw him.
----------
His eyes locked onto hers, refusing to let her look away. And when she swallowed, it was so loud, she was sure the entire world heard it.
"Or," he said. "We could skip the talking."
"And do what?" she asked, hating her voice for cracking.
"Any ideas?"
He was so close now, she could feel his breath warming her cheeks.
-----------
"Sophie?" The sound of Fitz's voice brought me back to reality. "Are you okay? You looked kinda space-y for a moment."
Everyone laughed.
My cheeks grew warm. "Yeah. Sorry. Just got a little distracted. So," I said quickly, eager to change the subject. "What is everyone doing here?"
Keefe put a hand to his chest as if he were dying. "I'm hurt, Foster! I thought you'd be happy I was here!" He put emphasis on the word I, making everyone laugh again.
I smiled. "I'm happy everyone is here Keefe, not just you. But I didn't know everyone was coming over."
"We'll leave you to your teenager-y things." Della winked and left the room with Alden.
"Well now that they're gone. Who wants to play truth or dare?"
I groaned. I hate that game! My mind screamed.
I didn't expect one, but I got a response. Me too, Fitz transmitted inside my head. I jumped in surprise.
"What is it, Foster? Another medical emergency?" Keefe teased. "Do we need to rush you to Elwin? This time it's probably 'had heart attack from seeing a bug.'"
Tam snickered as I blushed furiously. "I am NOT scared of bugs!"
"Are too."
"Are not!"
"Are too."
"Are. Not!!"
"Are too, Foster!
The others stared at us helplessly as we argued until Biana stepped in. "Okay, okay! Both of you, be quiet!"
I shut up. Keefe didn't. "Ooh, does little miss makeover have a problem with my tone of voice?" He cleared his throat. "Is this better?" He said in the Biana's exact voice. Everyone giggled.
Biana turned pink, which of course complimented her skin tone. "Alright, enough."
Sorry about that, Fitz transmitted. Didn't mean to scare you.
It's okay. Sophie smiled at him. He smiled back.
"No flirting until the game starts, you two!" Keefe said.
"Game? Oh right..."
"Truth or dare!" Biana said excitedly. "Who votes for that game?"
Everyone except me and Fitz raised our hands.
"Truth or dare it is!" Dex said. "Who wants to go first?"
I gulped. This was going to be a looooong ride.