Chapter 14: Sophie

"KEEFE!! BIANA!!"
Fitz raced through the forest like a bolt of lightning striking the earth. Fury and determination were on his face, and i could tell his protective-older-brother mode was full on.
"Wait," I said breathlessly after about ten continuous minutes of this. "Can we stop? I'm getting a little tired."
He looked at me. "Sure. Let's sit on this log."
We sat down and The Night we Met played on my iPod.

I am not the only traveler
Who has not repaid his debt
I've been searching for a trail to follow again
Take me back to the night we met

And then I can tell myself
What the hell I'm supposed to do
And then I can tell myself
Not to ride along with you
Take me back to the night we met

God...I hadn't listened to this since...
Since the day Fitz came for me in the museum.
A sob escaped me.
"What's wrong?" Fitz asked me concernedly.
I wiped a tear off my face. "Nothing."
"Look, if this is about me having to pretend to be your boyfriend I really am sorry." Fitz apologized.
"No, it's not that. But thanks." I put on a fake smile, fake as our relationship. He didn't see through it at all.
"No problem."
We sat in silence for a while until I couldn't stand it anymore.
"But for the record, you're a great actor." I joked.
Fitz looked up at me. "Sophie...I should tell you. I wasn't acting."
I stared at him, still kind of angry. "But you had to be. They made you pretend..."
"They...I...Sophie..." He hung his head.
"Fitz." I said ever so softly. "Do you like me?"
"No, Sophie." He replied.
My heart sank. "Oh. Okay. We should get going."
I almost stood up, but he grabbed my wrist. "Sophie," he said. "I don't like you.
"I love you."
Fitz pulled me in and kissed me. His lips were soft and gentle against mine, each movement filled with love. Only this time, I knew it wasn't fake. It was real.
I pushed him away lightly. "No, wait. Do you mean it? This isn't another...prank? Or dare?"
Fitz took my hand. "No, no! I mean it!
"When we first met, I thought of you like a little sister. Time went by, and I began to think of you as more of an equal, a friend. Then i realized - you're the person I always want by my side, in times of turmoil, and destruction. Whatever obstacles come our way, I know we will make it! Because we will be together. Me and you, were cognates. A team. I love you. Please, Sophie. Please come back to me."
I thought for a moment. Should I?
Some part of me wanted to stay mad at him, but looking at his sparkly teal eyes when he flashed his movie-star smile made my heart flutter and melt.
"Okay." I said tentatively, smiling.
Fitz smiled a smile so wide that it made my heart sing. "I'm so glad."
"Me too. But we should really keep going now." I stood up and Fitz did the same.
We ran together holding hands for a while. Every few minutes, he would look at me and smile.
That is, until we heard the calls.
"Can anyone hear us? Please! She's hurt!"

———-
so yea
please please pleeeease vote and comment on this chapter!
next chapter: at least 6 votes, at least 4 comments
im out for now
byeeeeeeeeee ✌🏻