Chapter 17: Sophie

Everyone jumped back and stood defensively. My heart raced and I felt all the blood drain out of my face as I instinctively gripped Fitz's hand, fingernails digging into his palm. He winced and I loosened my grip a little.
We all stood there, fearful as ever, waiting for someone to speak. Just as I was about to open my mouth and say something, Lady Gisela began to laugh maniacally. Confused, we glanced at each other out of the corners of our eyes as she then groaned loudly, running her hands through her stringy, dirty hair from not being clean for so long.
"I honestly don't know why you all take me to be so evil." She sighed. "Do you really think I'd come alone if I was trying to spy on you or purposely hurt you?"
Keefe's face grew beet red. "You honestly don't know why we think you're evil? Well, let's see...have you been helping the ogres? Yes. Did you abandon dad? Yes. Did you abandon me? Absolutely. And another thing,—"
"I'm going to stop you right there." Alden put a hand on Keefe's shoulder. "Although what happened in the past is important, and I know we're all still hurting, we should focus on the matter at hand. Your mother is here and conscious and while she's still calm and collected we need to ask her some questions about her intentions behind coming here."
Keefe snorted. "That woman is definitely not my mother." Lady Gisela raised an eyebrow at him.
" I though we established this when you betrayed us and everyone in the Lost Cities," He said in retaliation. A pang of guilt and sympathy for him hit me. He's hiding his hurt feelings awfully well, I thought. I wish I could comfort him.
"So what do you want, anyways?" He continued. "Why are you even here?"
Lady Gisela looked directly into my eyes, took a deep breath, and started talking. "I have very important information regarding Sophie's parents. Her human parents, of course."
My heart fell into my stomach. A million different fears entered my mind and choked out any calmness I might have had in my body beforehand. Fitz squeezed my hand reassuringly. It's okay, he transmitted. We're all here for you. Especially me. His words made me feel a little less anxious, but they barely gave me enough courage to speak. "What kind of information?" I pressed. "Are they okay? Tell me right now or I swear I will—"
"Before you threaten me," Lady Gisela smirked. "The king thought you might like to hear it;, but you'd have to see him in person. No exceptions. No compromises. And only Sophie and one other person are allowed to go. I was just sent to deliver the message. No need to be hostile." She glared at her son and Alden.
Keefe threw his hands up in exasperation and stared towards the wall, hands crossed on the back of his head. "Why. Why. Why." He muttered to himself.
"Keefe, stop for a second." I looked at Lady Gisela. "Look, whatever plan you and the king came up with isn't going to work. I don't care about the information. Just leave."
Her eyebrows shot up. "Really."
"Really?" Fitz looked at me.
"I don't want to know. They're probably lying anyway. Plus, it could be a trap."
Lady Gisela sighed. "Alright, I get it. I wouldn't  want to know either. The information is so shocking...it might hurt your delicate mind."
Blazing rage coursed through my body and I resisted the urge to strangle her. How dare she call me delicate. I knew what she was trying to do, but I didn't care. She had gotten under my skin, and it was too late.
"You know what, fine." I raised my voice a little, trying to seem fiercer. "Fitz and I will go. When do we leave?"
"Whoa. Okay, wait." Grady stepped in front of me. "No way am I allowing this. Or anyone else. And even if, if I decided to let you go, you'd have to bring a bodyguard."
"Actually," Alden interrupted. "The best person to bring would be Fitz. After all, they are cognates."
"They aren't yet!" Grady exclaimed. "You're not going. You could die."
I shook my head. "I'm sorry. I know you're scared for me, but I have to do this. I can take care of myself. I promise I'll be fine. You have to let us go."
A look of understanding passed through his face, and he nodded. "Okay. But I don't like this. And you," He glared at Fitz. "If you let anything happen to her, you're done for."
Fitz nodded confidently. "Don't worry. I won't let you down." He smiled at me and a rush of affection flowed through me. "I won't let you down either."
I smiled back, grateful for the support. "So how are we getting there?"
"Here," Lady Gisela tossed Fitz and I each a small, purple pin. "These will allow Sophie to transport us to the king. Whenever you're ready, all three of us have to join hands."
I reluctantly took Lady Gisela's hand, and Fitz did the same.
"Any day now." She said impatiently, and we glared at her.
"Okay." I took a deep breath in, pictured where I was trying to go, and...
•~•
We were there.
The ogre king towered above us, his booming laughter echoing through the chamber.
"Ho! What do we have here?"
To be continued...
•~•
hey guys thanks for reading this chapter the next one will be here soon!
hope you liked it
please share this story and have a great day!!!