"We were happy... were."

Lillian pov-

I sat staring at Matty, we'd been together for a while, but it's almost like it's too much. When we were in public he acted like we were the best couple you ever thought of, but when we get back home it's like we're a different couple, actually we don't even act like a couple. We argue too much, don't get me wrong, any good couple needs an argument, but not like the ones we have. He doesn't make me feel the same way he did a few years ago.

"Do you need something, you're staring." He snaps, I guess I was caught. "You can't just parade around acting like we're happy. We aren't Matty, what happened to us?" I ask and he sighs. "I'm sorry that I can't make you happy, maybe I could put back what's equally given; sadly happiness isn't something that I've received back." He says bitterly, his voice spurring another petty argument.

"That's not what I meant, you know that. We stopped making each other happy, social media and other personal issues got in our way Matty. I think we know what should happen next." I choke out, he looks horrified.

"No, no there's no way that we're breaking up. Nope, we are not doing that." He says quickly, I try to interject but he starts throwing his arms around. "I can try to make you happy again! We were happy Lillian! Please." He pleads.

"We were happy... were." I state, he shakes his head slowly. I start to see tears forming in his eyes. "Can we just take a break? Like just give ourselves a week or two to calm down?" He asks, I chuckle. "Do you honestly believe that a couple of weeks is going to fix us? Fix our arguments, or our constant let downs? It's not going to work Matty, honestly it's not. I don't believe in breaks, either we end or not." I reply calmly.

"We've been together for 3 years! We're going to let this ruin us?" He asks quietly. "It's ruining me Matty! It's absolutely ruining me! I want to be happy, I want to feel something besides remorse every time I come home and see you drinking, watching tv on the couch. I want to be loved more than I am, I want more happiness!" I begin to yell, all the calmness was out the window.

"I'll stop, the drinking and the ignoring you; it'll stop if you just stay." He says and I take a deep breath. "It's not going to stop, it will only pause for a few weeks until you make me believe that we could be happier, but then it'll pick back up and I'll be stuck in this damn house." I spit out, he sighs.

"So this is it?" He asks sadly. "It is Matty. I'm sorry, I loved you, honestly I did. Hell, I still love you, but we can't do this anymore." I say and a look of defeat etches on his face, his shoulders drop forward. "I love you Lillian, and I hope you find that happiness. I hope that one saying will remain true." He says and I raise my eyebrow. "Which one?" I ask.

"If true love is meant to be, they'll find their way back to you."

So, this a story based off of the Ed Sheeran song "Happier." I really hope you enjoy it, thank you 💕.