Chapter 13

'Many have fallen from the Old Kingdom, hunted for their uniqueness but there was a time when there were more than 20 types of canine and feline shifters. Even rarer were the shifters who descended from the amphibian line. If Shifters are continued to be hunted, they will fall extinct in less than a hundred years...'

Rory scowled at the paragraph that she just read, she hadn't known that there are others like her. It didn't make sense, people were surprised by her ability to shift into something that wasn't a wolf. This was something that she would have to talk to Edna about, but she couldn't help but continue reading.

'... there used to be meetings which all of the Animal Houses were invited to attend. The location was changed, so we can't be sure of where they're being held but we know they are. How else would they keep track of the members of the House?...'

"Are you feeling better?" Kole asked running his fingers down her injured side, drawing a purr of content from her.

"Much better," she nodded.

"Good." He said his hand falling to rest on the curve of her side slipping to her stomach.

"Have you read this book before?" She asked playing with the edge of the book.

"I have not, Edna doesn't typically share her library with others."

"Really, why would she share with me then?" Rory frowned.

"This may be a shock, but she probably likes you." Kole teased causing her to chuckle.

"Do you know a lot about the Old Kingdom?"

"Not as much as I should, why?"

"I'm just finding this interesting. There are other's like me...or there were others like me." Rory corrected herself. "They are.. uh... were being hunted."

Kole let out a little growl, at a thought of his mate being hunted.

"Do you think there are any others left?"

"I don't know," He sighed, "I've never came across anyone else, only you."

"What if there are others like me? How would I find out?" Rory asked out loud, knowing neither of them had the answers.

"Maybe Edna knows?" Kole suggested, "She probably has connections to other packs."

"That's a good idea."

They sat there for a moment of silence before Rory asked the question weighing on her mind, "Do you think there are other rouges around?"

She felt him tense at the question before he answered her with a slight snarl. "There better not be. They will not injure you again."

"I know, I know. It was my own fault. I saw you fall and them turn on you, I had to help." Rory said running her hand over his arms, loving the feel of his smooth skin.

"Next time I want you to leave."

"I can't do that." Rory denied.

"You can and you will." Kole pressed. "I can handle myself and I don't want you to be hurt again. Promise me you will leave next time."