Chapter 21

Her head throbbed as she regained consciousness. The first thing that she noticed was that she was cold and the air smelled terrible. Rory's heart raced as she slowly sat up, her eyes locking on hazel ones that were inches from her.

"What? I?--" Rory paused not even knowing what she was asking or going to say. The movement caused a sharp pain to occur behind her eyes and immediately shut them.

"Careful, you have a nasty wound." A small voice said. Rory frowned and took in the small girl sitting in front of her. The young girl had dull blonde hair, her face was dirty and she was pale. Rory took in the small room and noticed two other people in the dingy room.

"Where am I?" Rory asked, moving to sit up.

"We don't know. They don't let us outside." The small girl said.

Rory nodded and looked around and took in the other two boys. One of the boys looked to be a little older, maybe twelve, he had dark brown hair, and the other boy was leaning into him, and had light blonde hair.

"How old are you guys?" Rory asked.

"I am six, Drew is eleven and Ryan is eight." The little girl spoke.

"And what's your name?" Rory questioned.

"Alice."

"Nice to meet you guys, I am Rory." Rory said with what she hoped to be a friendly smile.

"How long have you guys been here do you think?"

"I don't know, a few weeks. Maybe a month?" Drew whispered. He opened his mouth to say something else, but immediately stopped as the door opened, and heavy footsteps came their way.

"Oh, good." A rough voice said, "You've all met."

Rory watched as Alice scurried over to the other side of the cell, and Rory just noticed that they were all chained to the wall. She was so focused on the pain in her head, that she hadn't even noticed the weight of the shackle on her ankle.

Rory scooted into the wall as the man came to her and grabbed her chin, forcing her to look at him.

"Do you know why you are here?" The man asked and Rory stayed silent.

"Fine, I will tell you why. You are going to be my ticket into the Hunter's Circle." The man spoke and she immediately knew that her captor was talking about the same Hunters that Blue told her was hunting members of the Old Kingdom.

Apparently the captor didn't like her continued silence because he smacked her hard across the face and she could taste blood in her mouth.

"When I come back, I hope you are willing to talk." The man spoke, his Brown eyes filled with anger and hate. "Otherwise, I there are other ways to get you to talk." He threatened leaving them to the darkness.
"How often does he come in?" She asked looking the the three children for answers.
"Often." The older boy Drew said with a shudder.

Rory frowned as she heard their captor again. They had to have been left alone for no more than ten minutes, and they spent it in silence. Their captor came into his dingy cell and stared at them, his eyes roaming over the four of them equally, however this time, Rory noticed that he was not alone. Standing behind him was a tall bulky man who had a scar running from his eyebrow to his jaw.

"Who am I going to take?" The man said, with a deep smirk, obviously hoping to frighten them.  "I think I am going to take the little one."

Hearing the man's decision to take her, Alice immediately started crying as the bulky man came towards her.