Chapter 35

"Hi, I'm Sarah. Can I get you some coffee? Or maybe some orange juice?"

"We'll take the coffee, thanks," said Chester.

"Coming right up," she said as she walked away from us.

I was at the studio when I got the call from Chester asking me if I was busy. He wanted me to meet him at the Waffle House because he wanted to talk. I had an inkling of an idea as to what it was but I still pretended I didn't. I asked Uncle Rob and he let me go if I promised to be back in two hours. Honestly, I couldn't wait to get away from the studio. It was Ariana's last day to record and the tension was unbearable. I was pretty sure if you squinted, you could see the electricity coursing between Lauren and Ariana.

"You look—horrible, I'm not gonna lie," said Chester with concern on his face.

"I haven't been sleeping. Or if I do, I get nightmares so I only get two to three hours of sleep a night," I told him while rubbing my eyes with the heels of my palms.

"Have you tried taking sleeping pills?"

I shook my head at the thought. "I don't want them."

"It's like you're punishing yourself, Y/N." He's right. I was punishing myself. Maybe not consciously but my mind would always play memories of Lauren's tears whenever I tried to rest. "Have you tried going to the doctor?"

A chuckle escaped my lips. "It's not exactly a medical condition, Chester. And there's only one thing that could cure me."

Lauren's smile.

Lauren's voice.

Lauren's laugh.

Lauren's kiss.

Lauren.

"But I can't get it," I said with a sigh of defeat. We sat in silence until the waitress came back with a pot of coffee.

"You guys know what you want?"

"All Star breakfast with eggs over easy and bacon," responded Chester, looking at me.

"Make that two." The waitress walked away with a nod and left Chester and I alone. I sighed and buried my face in my hands. I shouldn't be like this to Chester. He's been my only friend throughout all this and he's the only one I trust. "I'm sorry, Chester," I said moving my hands down my face. "So, how are you and Camila?"

His face immediately lit up at the mention of her name. I've noticed Camila strangely happier the past few days. I couldn't help but wonder if it was because of Chester.

"We're good. We've been talking a lot lately and I'm just," he let out a deep breath and I saw the widest smile on his face. "I'm so happy, Y/N."

I knew he didn't mean it but the way he told me he was happy made me wince because I was once happy like that too. And now everything fell apart.

"Are you two dating yet?" I asked him.

"No," he said with a smile. "We're just friends. But if given the chance, I want to be more."

I nodded and leaned back on my chair. "Take care of her, Chester. Don't hurt her. Don't make her cry. Be honest with her." The smile on his face disappeared as a seriousness replaced it. I didn't doubt Chester was going to make Camila happy but that was the same thing I thought when I just started dating Lauren. And now, look what happened.

"I'll take care of her, I promise," he said with conviction. Sarah came back and served us our food. We made small talk but I knew Chester didn't invite me here just because he wanted to catch up. And in the middle of breakfast, he finally asked me the inevitable question.