Chapter 39

"Well, Mr. L/N, your charts are good and you're ready to be discharged today."

My mom hugged dad and I saw a smile cross his face. It's been a week since dad got shot and now the doctor was clearing him for release. I knew just how excited he was to go home. He didn't like being constrained in a hospital bed. He was always an active type of guy, that's why he became a police officer. He always wanted to be on the move and he told me being bed-ridden made him feel anxious.

"You're going to have to use a wheel chair for a few days." My dad groaned and we all laughed.  "Only for a few days. After that, I want you to come back here for a check-up, alright? Y/N." I turned to Dr. Conrad when he called my name. "Look after your father and please make sure he stops being stubborn about his medicine, okay?" he said jokingly.

"I'll force feed it to him if necessary," I said with a smirk. My mom laughed while my dad just rolled his eyes at me.

"Mrs. L/N, can I talk to you outside? I want to give you the schedule of his prescriptions." My mom nodded and they left dad and I alone. There was a basketball match airing on TV. I sat beside him and put my feet up on the bed. I felt the phone in my pocket vibrate after a few minutes. I pulled it out and smiled as I read Lauren's text.

Lauren: Babe, why is Camila crying? What did you tell her??

I laughed at her text as I remembered my conversation with the younger Cuban girl. Camila called me a half hour ago, asking me when I'd be back. But that wasn't the first time she did though. When Lauren came back, I instantly received floods of texts from all the other girls. Lauren told me how she told the girls not to bother me unless she was sure I'm okay. That's why I never received texts or calls from them while Lauren was here. I answered all of their texts as best as I could. All of them were happy with my replies.

All of them except Camila that is.

She wasn't content with texting, no, she had to call me. And that was fine, she called and we talked. She asked me when I was coming back but I didn't know when at the time so I told her I didn't know. Then the next day, she called me again to ask when I'd be back. I wasn't annoyed, the opposite in fact, so I decided to play with her a bit. When she called me a half hour ago, the only thing I told her was that I wasn't sure if I could come back. Then I hung up.

So there was a ninety five percent chance I was the reason she's crying right now.

Me: Why are you so sure it was me?

I heard the crowd cheer just as I pressed send because someone just made a three point shot but the opposing team fouled him too so now he had a chance to make it a four point play. My phone lit up just as the free throw slid smoothly through the hoop and the crowd exploded in cheers once again.

Lauren: Because she keeps saying your name in between sobs. Come on, what did you do?

Me: Okay, I may or may not have told her I wasn't sure if I was ever coming back.

"It's the fourth quarter and they're barely cracking forty points. Either they both have great defense or they both suck," said dad.

I laughed at the thought. "Really, dad? Really?" But he just shrugged at my comment. I looked at Lauren's new message with a smile on my face.

Lauren: You're mean!! She's crying because she thinks you're not coming back because she annoys you.

Me: Okay, I'm sorry. I just wanted to surprise her. Tell her I'll be there soon but don't tell her I'm coming back tonight.

The minutes pass by and both teams are neck to neck. I don't really care who's winning but there's nothing else to do anyways. I looked down at my phone just in time to see Lauren's text.