Chapter 47

A/N: Double updates bc why not 🤷🏻‍♂️

Your POV

My heart was racing as I stood in front of Lauren's front door.

It's been weeks since I last saw her and we haven't talked at all. I admit, I was really angry at her when she refused to help me with Luis and the barrage of memories that resurfaced just further confused and frustrated me. On top of that, Ariana left the next day without even saying goodbye. The only thing I had left of her was a letter on my nightstand. I didn't get it. Why would she be so distant with me? Did I do something wrong? And now, I had no fucking way to find out because she was gone.

I took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

I've done nothing but stay in my room since that day. But I didn't just sit in my room, I also tried piecing together every information I received in hopes of figuring out who I really was. With the emergence of Luis, I added her with a few people I couldn't remember like Camila, Dinah, Normani, and Ally. I also wrote Leo, the one my dad was talking to and circled his name. After I made a chart, I pulled back and examined it carefully. I knew what the outcome would be but I still can't help but be surprised.

Lauren was the centerpiece to all of them. I could connect everyone to Lauren except Leo. But then again, Leo was connected to my dad and he was connected to Lauren.

That was the time when the word her appeared on my mind, recalling the memory of my dented wall. Was Lauren really her? She might as well be, but the fact is, I still don't know who Lauren was to me. And I had this feeling at the pit of my stomach that when I find that out, the holes in my brain would be instantly filled up.

Summoning what courage I have left, I raised my hand and rapped my knuckles against the door.

In all honesty, I missed having Lauren around. She seemed so genuine whenever we talked and as more days passed, I realized that I've been depending on her all this time. Whenever something depressed me as I laid unmoving on the hospital bed, I only had to look at her and her smile to know that everything was going to be okay.

She was the best friend I ever had.

And I don't want to lose her.

The door opened and I was finally face to face with Lauren again after weeks. She seemed taken aback and I understand that so I mustered a smile before greeting her.

"Hey."

"Hi," she said rather hesitantly.

"It's been a long time."

"It... has."

Her eyes would move up to meet mine but as soon as I held her gaze for more than two seconds, she'd hurriedly look away like I was the sun at the peak of its height. It took all my will power not to reach out, rub her arm, and tell her it was going to be okay.

"Hey, can we talk?" I asked and watched her face change from hesitant to surprised. She looked behind her and inside the house before turning back toward me. "Don't worry, we can talk here. Please?" She bit her lower lip before giving me a small nod.

"I just—I just wanted to apologize for what I said a few weeks ago. It was uncalled for and you've been an incredible friend to me. I don't want to lose you. I was stupid and let my feelings rule my words. And for that, I'm really sorry."

She just looked at me for a few seconds before she stepped forward a bit, inching closer to me and out the door. "You don't have to apologize. You were frustrated and let your feelings—"

"Okay, stop," I interrupted. "You don't have to hold my hand this time. I know I'm the one in the wrong. You have been nothing but an amazing friend ever since I woke up. I don't think I've ever told you how thankful I am that you never left my side."