Chapter 40

A/N: Ten more chapters until the end. Lauren's POV would be used a lot these last few chapters :)

Lauren's POV

"Lauren, it's... it's Y/N. He... he's been in a ca... car accident."

Those words echoed in my ear, over and over again until I felt myself break down on the floor in tears. I could hear the grief and pain in Liz' voice as she talked to me and it took all my strength just to listen to her every word. But the shock rendered my mind useless and all I heard were the words Y/N and accident.

Everything after that was a blur. I vaguely remembered talking to Janelle but after that—nothing. All I know is that a few hours later, I was put on a plane bound for Miami. My dad called me before we took off and said he'd be waiting for me at the airport. I tried asking him if he knew about Y/N's condition but he just told me to try and calm down before he hung up. And with that, I feared the worst.

All through the flight, I kept thinking about how Y/N's eyes looked at me with precise glances as if he was trying to find the location of a treasure on a map. Or how his hands moved over my skin with such carefulness like a sculptor crafting his masterpiece. Or even how his lips moved in mine like I was his oxygen. His water. His life.

And the tears fell as I thought about never feeling those things again.

Just when I had everything back, was I going to lose it all again?

The moment I saw my dad in the waiting area, I finally let the emotions overtake me and I ran towards him. I didn't care that I dropped my suitcase and bags on the floor. He picked me up and wrapped his arms tight around me. I felt the tears rush down my cheeks but I couldn't stop them any longer. He murmured words of reassurance to try and calm me down but it was no use. The pain was too much to bear and all throughout the flight, I felt like I was gonna explode.

The drive to the hospital was silent and I hated and wanted it at the same time. I probably couldn't carry a conversation with anyone right now because I was too preoccupied with my thoughts. And that's what I hated because all my thoughts came back to Y/N. The last time I heard his voice, he told me he was on his way to the airport. I felt my chest tighten at the thought of that being our last conversation. There were still so many words I wanted to tell him and I couldn't bear the thought of him leaving me without knowing them.

"Lauren, honey, we're here."

My dad guided me inside the hospital because I could feel my strength fading. My eyes stung after I cried my eyes out and my whole body felt heavy. It felt like I was carrying a hundred ton weight on my shoulder that I didn't know how to shake off. After talking with a nurse, my dad walked me over to the elevators and towards Y/N's room. The moment Liz saw me, she met me halfway and wrapped her arms around me.

I could feel her entire body shaking and her sobs reached my ears. I could feel the tears threatening to fall again but I bit my lip and told myself to be strong. Since we were at the private ward, that meant Y/N was okay, right? I could only cling to that hope until Liz moved away from me and a man in a wheelchair moved towards us.

I instantly recognized him as Y/N's father. He didn't have a good relationship with his son so I was a little hesitant to hug him but when I saw the pain in his eyes, I immediately bent down and wrapped my arms around him. It doesn't matter what their relationship was, this man almost lost his son.

"Can... can I know what happened?" I asked and was surprised by the gravel in my voice. I sound like I hadn't drank water for days.

"I'll handle that." I looked up and saw a doctor walking towards me. He reached out and I shook his hand. "My name is Dr. Conrad, Y/N's doctor."