4

"How did you break that pencil?" Jungkook asked, about to drop his head on his desk in frustration. "I told you the lead was softer and that you shouldn't press hard."

"I'm sorry." Taehyung said, putting the pencil down on the desk next to his half-finished, sloppy sketch. "I can't concentrate."

His leg was bouncing up and down, his knee nearly hitting the desk. Jungkook sighed, tapping his pencil on the desk. Taehyung was the type to concentrate when it was needed, but sometimes he just couldn't sit still. It was why Jungkook assumed that if Taehyung wanted to go into something artsy it would be photography, or dancing.

"Give me your pencil." Jungkook said, setting his down and holding his hand out. Taehyung put the pencil with the chipped lead into Jungkook's awaiting hand, his face somewhat sad.

"I'm sorry." Taehyung said, hanging his head down. His leg was still bouncing, a testament to the energy that was building up. They had been sitting for a good hour, nearly an hour and a half, so Jungkook could understand the fidgeting.

"It's okay." Jungkook said as he began to sharpen the pencil. His fingers fumbled a bit at first, but eventually he settled into a rhythm, the sound of the pencil being sharpened grinding against his ears.

Brief moments passed; Jungkook was not so patiently sharpening the pencil, and Taehyung was looking through Jungkook's art supplies, picking things up and examining them, or simply being in awe at the large amount of different colors. The only thing Jungkook didn't have were pastels, but Jungkook didn't feel his style was soft enough for pastels.

"I have to pee." Taehyung nearly exclaimed as he shot out of his seat, brushed past Jungkook, and went into the bathroom. Jungkook's train of thought was broken as he put the freshly sharpened pencil on the desk and glanced at the closed bathroom door, letting out a tight breath.

The pencils on the desk weren't in order, so Jungkook straightened them. As he straightened them and made sure they were symmetrical, he looked at the two vastly different sketches.

It was obvious they were at two very different skill levels, but Jungkook found he liked Taehyung's more. Jungkook, after practicing lines and shapes, had asked Taehyung to sketch a simple flower in a grassy landscape. It was something basic, and not too showy.

Jungkook's sketch, as usual, was becoming twisted and haunted, something he didn't want to see himself much less something he wanted Taehyung to see. Jungkook's flower was wilted, the lines curved more, but the leaves were sharp. Taehyung's was soft and rounded and perky, and in the top right corner of the page he had drawn a sun.

Jungkook didn't know if Taehyung had meant for his drawing to come off light, or if Jungkook was just too used to the dark stuff he drew.

Truthfully, Jungkook hadn't known what to draw when he said they would be sketching flowers. That image that normally always popped into his head was blurred, and you could tell it in his drawing. Some of the lines were off, the shapes disproportionate. He hated it. He hated the way his hand had been so unsure for the longest time.

He reached for the paper on the desk, wanting to ball it up, rip it, or burn it—he didn't know. He just wanted to destroy it because it showed he was falling behind and that something was—

Taehyung's phone, that had been sitting on the far right side of the desk where Taehyung was working, went off, the loud sound startling Jungkook. Jungkook dropped his hand in his lap.

"You got a message." Jungkook said as loud as he could manage. He glanced over at the phone, just for half a second before the screen went dark, but Jungkook caught a name.