Chapter 16: When The High Society Rips Anika into Pieces

Anika POV

Walking into the Handa Residence was probably the biggest mistake that I made in my entire life. But for Saumya, I would make the same mistake a thousand times.

"Hello Anika and Mrs. Rana." Mrs. Handa greeted. Her eyes clearly not seeming so welcome.

"Will your husband be coming today for the Luncheon of The Rose Society after the meeting?" She asked Mallika Bhabhi, who nodded.

"Oh Anika!" Lavanya Handa sauntered down. One of the three witches who bullied Saumya sauntered down the stairs with her right-hand Ragini Malhotra by her side.

Mallika tensed. She knew there was going to be a sneak attack any second. I gripped her hand.

"Will Viren come today?" Lavanya asked. I felt my wall being slowly ripped. A small nibble but this was only the beginning. I had just arrived. I schooled my face to the mask I usually wore.

"I do not know about the Raichand son but Malthi Aunty is certainly coming." Mallika answered as she pulled me towards the ladies room where all the high and mighty society woman were seated.

"Come Chutki. Ignore them. Let us take our seat."

When we walked into the room, each family had their own table. Some families that were closely related were together. When we entered, Saumya looked at us wide-eyed. She and Mallika Bhabhi were having a silent conversation. Priyanka was looking at something on her phone. She did not notice the silent conversation.

"Oh Anika Beta.......we didn't know where you would sit. So we just kept a chair aside for you. With the Raichands, Oberois or Ranas?" Mrs. Malhotra snidely asked. She knew about the gossip around that I was an ex-Oberoi.......now a Rana and about the fact that one of the Rana Princesses  were once promised to Dhruv Raichand.

I smiled sweetly at Mrs. Malhotra. "Actually Aunty, I will be sitting with Mallika and Saumya. Mallika is my Bhabhi and Saumya and Priyanka are my best friends. I am sure the Oberois and Ranas can share a table like usual. I think Malthi aunty would want her bahu and not me on the table."

I knew that usually Mallika and Saumya sat together. But today.....the arrangements had changed.

Mallika smirked and called a servant to move her chair and the Rana place tag to Saumya's table along with the chair for me.

Once, we were seated. The meeting commenced. Who would say that we were working for a charity event. Some of the woman were just there to spend unnecessary money.

I raised my voice. "Maybe we can think more about the poor kids this is going to benefit."

Mrs. Handa and Mrs. Malhotra exchanged a look which I knew did not mean anything good. "Haan Anika Beta....we know that you worry a lot about them but you see when we are part  of the high society, we think about the charity gala first."

Mallika was about to say something but I squeezed her hand. Anika Rana had to take a stand. 

"Of course aunty.......I meant that living in glass palaces, we do not think about the suffering of the kids. Maybe the food leftover from the gala can be given instead of wasted. And the chocolate fountains can be avoided."

Half the room seemed to approve but the half that held most of the power sneered.

Suddenly, I heard a comment. "Anika ko kya pata.....achche khandhaan ke hone ka importance. The Ranas should have never taken her in. Who knows whether she is even a real Rana?"

I did not know who said the comment. 

"Anika being a Rana or not is none of your business. But for your information, we know that she is a Rana and that is more than enough." Mallika hissed.