Chapter Twenty Eight: promise.

It was 2 a.m. and Mike Wheeler creeped through his house, grabbing only what he would need for a few days. His heart raced as he hurried. He didn't have much time. He had to run. It was the only way to keep them all safe. Amid his packing, he heard the creak of a single floorboard. He whipped around in a flash. Just in front of him stood El.
"Mike?" She asked softly to the darkness
"Yeah" he replied
"Why are you up?" She asked, puzzled by his haste to shove things in his bag
"You see..." he tried to come up with an excuse "well I was...I'm just....I'm going into the portal...yeah....I'm going into the portal to see if I can find a cure for this." He said confidently
"Can I help?" El asked softly. He couldn't say no to her.
"Sure" he said, "as long as you don't come in, you need to stay safe."
"Okay" she replied.
They began their journey to the Hawkins lab. The lab had been closed up, but with a swift nod of Eleven's head, the chains fell.
The two headed to the site of the first incident, and El sat on the ground, ready to begin. She closed her eyes and focused, creating the portal. 
Mike began to step into the portal. El quickly called out to him, and clasped his hand in hers.
"You'll come back." she said, more a statement than a question. Her eyes slowly filling with tears. "Promise?"
His hand slipped from hers as he entered the portal one last time. He looked her in the eyes, took a deep breath, and although he had no intention of keeping it, he whispered, "Promise."