At Last

"I found you."

She looked a mess. I could tell she had cried. Her mascara had run down her cheeks. She held herself tightly in a ball in a corner of the room.

I ran to hug her.

"No contact!" A C.O shouted.

I hugged her anyway. She didn't say anything to me.

"I said no contact!" The correctional officer ran to the jail bars. I let her go and sat by her.

"How did you get in here?"

"They think I killed you. I didn't kill you. How could I kill you?" She went on and on for a while just stating that.

I grabbed her hand and the C.O couldn't see me holding it. "Where's everyone else?"

"Released. They are released. I didn't kill you. They say I did but but, I didn't. " She did a soft laugh. "You're not dead?"

"No Kim. I'm not dead."

The C.O walked away and I tried to kiss her cheek. She pushed me away.

"No. No. You're not real. You're dead. You're dead."

"No Kim. I'm alive. What are you talking about?"

"Get.. away.. from.. me. You're dead."

"Kim."

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" She yelled out.

I crawled across the room and stared at her. I didn't know how long she had been in jail, but I knew it was affecting her.

"I'm going crazy." She sobbed out.

"Sssh." I tried to calm her. "Be quiet before the guards come."

"You aren't here right now." She began rocking back and forth. "It's okay. They'll let me out. Yeah. They will."

Mrs. Latimore looked like she hadn't slept for days. I sat on the floor starring at her.

She started picking at her skin.

"You're a murderer. You killed her. No I didn't. Yes, you did. Liar. Liar." She talked to herself.

I was afraid to say anything else to her. I closed my eyes and slept against the wall. Hours passed by, and I woke up still in the cell. It was night time. At least it felt like it was. Kim was asleep on the floor. I picked her up quietly and sat her in a chair. This was all my fault. I didn't know how to comfort her or support her. I only knew that I had to do something. I had to make this right. I didn't know where Phill and Dedra were. I didn't know who to contact to ask how they were except for Mrs. Latimore, and she was no help to me at the moment. The jail was quiet. There was nothing to do but sit and think. After my thoughts became unbearable, I drifted away into sleep again.

My sleep was short lived. I woke up frantically. Our cell was full of correctional officers yelling and pushing other inmates against the wall. One snatched me and slammed into wall.

"What's going on?" I asked confused.

"Nothing that concerns you."

He continued to hold me there.

I could hear yelling, but I didn't who was yelling, and why they were screaming.

"I don't want to live. She's a ghost!" I heard Mrs. Latimore cry out. "Get me out of here! "

"Hey, let her go!" I tried to free myself from the guard. He proceeded to place handcuffs on me.

"Yes, I killed her. I killed her. I did it. I did it! She's haunting me. Help me!" I heard a maniacal voice say. It didn't sound like her, but unfortunately it was.