Chapter 1

A Beautiful Day by Fanila E. Richards _

The cursor flashed on the computer screen as Fanny stopped typing and looked at Carmen, a scruffy Parson Russell Terrier, nestled in the chair across the room.

"This was Great Aunt Kathy's bright idea," Fanny said discouraged. "Write a book, get published, work at home, your own hours," Fanny sighed. "Who am I kidding? Maybe, when I get feeble, I can stuff and mail envelopes. How much coordination can that take?" Closing her laptop, she sighed, again, and tried to shake off her gloomy thoughts as she headed for the kitchen at the back of the house with Carmen following at her heels.

"You know what we really need Carmen, we need a 'bring your dog to work' day. And seeing as I don't have a lovable pooch of my own, I'd borrow you from your daddy. You could spend the day with me at my desk. And, you would amaze everyone with your wonderful tricks and be the life of the office," she smiled. Fanny threw a treat to Carmen which was caught in midair with a jump and a flip. "You are the smartest girl in the world! Yes, you are," Fanny chirped. "And, I know you can't wait to desert me when your daddy gets home," she said as she scratched Carmen's neck and refilled her water bowl. "Just a few more days, baby, John will be coming home soon." Grabbing her purse off the counter, Fanny issued last minute instructions as she headed out the door to work, "No cats! Even if they beg you, don't let them in. You may not remember what they did last time, but I do! I'll be back at noon, sweetie."

Pulling the door closed, Fanny crossed her driveway to her old, dependable, compact car. It was a Mercury Tracer which had survived a deer attack and was a little rough around the edges. She'd get a new car but Fanny understood and accepted her attachment—disorder?! Was liking to keep the things you have called attachment disorder? Oh no, it's called hoarding. I am not a hoarder—probably. Jeez, I just like keeping my things, Fanny thought. It didn't look like much, but it featured a stick shift, front wheel drive, tight turning radius, cornered like it was on rails, and could stop on a dime. Fanny smiled because getting it started again was tricky. Relieved the car did start, Fanny backed down the drive thus starting her six minute commute to work. She was really lucky to find work so close to home. She lived in south Rapid City, SD, on the edge of the industrial side of town, but she felt really lucky not having to fight the majority of commuter traffic to get to work. She couldn't take the stress.

She pulled into her parking space at the sprawling complex of Chambers Engineering. She was the first to arrive nearly every morning and should have had her pick of spots. However, on her first day she had gotten into trouble with the unpublished policy of 'assigned' parking spots for the main office and management. She learned this when she parked in VP Lenny Tyler's parking place. But, the parking spaces hadn't been marked - none of them! Still, Mr. Tyler was less than thrilled, to say the very least, but he said he forgave her—just that once—since she was new and all. Fanny had promptly moved her car out of harms way, and then she started a quiet campaign to get identification plaques for the parking places. She was successful and now all employees knew where they were supposed to park, and unknowing persons were not held responsible for their actions. Visitors had front row privileges, right after the disabled.

Chambers Engineering was located in a beautiful building that looked like a medieval castle. She loved the huge crème stones which were salvaged from a condemned building in Hot Springs, a town known for it stone, turn-of-the-century architecture. But the entrance was her favorite design element. Fanny's lips crooked into a wry smile at the technical term. Maybe soon she'd sound like she knew something and belonged here. The entrance was a large three-story central turret that faced north. The castle extended from the turret in tall two-story east and west wings, with arching windows, and terminated in large, cube shaped three-story towers. The Castle was constructed of stone, arching lead glass windows, and a - uh, shoot, a crene...crenellated top! While the front of the turret was massive stones and gave the deserved impression of a solid secure structure, the glass entrance was tucked around the corner into the turrets sides.