Chapter 14

Fanny was confused at first when Kyle took Buford’s leash from her then slipped her car keys from her hand but his actions became clear when he unlocked her car put Buford in the back seat then opened her door for her. Fanny couldn’t help but feel special when he placed her keys gently in her hand then leaned down and whispered in her ear for her to have a good day at work. Fanny knew her face was fair to flaming when she turned to look at him and his face was bare inches from hers. She was flummoxed and couldn’t speak so she just nodded her head. He returned to his lofty looming height the breadth of him blocking the sun. However, she didn’t feel cold- no- she felt warm and those butterflies were back with a vengeance.

When Kyle stepped back, Fanny got into her car and to her embarrassment realized that her palms were damp. She wiped them on her pants before she started the car, waved good bye, and pulled away.

When she reached the office, Fanny led Buford out to the park and made sure to pick up his poo so no one would complain. He didn’t react well when Fanny started walking away from him back towards the turret. He lumbered quickly to her and pressed himself into her hip as she walked, nearly knocking her off balance, and looked up at her with sad eyes. Fanny stopped, turned to face him, and placed her hands on either check as she looked into his eyes. She told him not to worry she wasn’t going to leave him then she placed soft kisses on his forehead. She was surprised when his skin got warm underneath her touch. Fanny leaned back and Buford eyes had closed. Fanny released his face and started walking again with Buford at her side with his tongue lolling out. He followed right at her heels the rest of the day and refused to let her out of his sight. When Fanny sat at her computer, he maneuvered himself into the corner of the ‘L’ under her desk and slept. She figured the poor wee beastie had been terribly stressed since his owner died and he needed to make an attachment, have a little loving, and some quiet time.

She had talked to Lenny and he decided that the mission to the airport was work related and she didn’t need to use vacation for it. She was grateful. Her alarm sounded to remind her about the doctor so she got that chore completed. She did some research on the internet regarding Irish Wolfhounds, looked at the notes Diane had sent with the travel documents, made a list of items for Kyle to pick up then texted it to him as she figured it was easier to write it down once. She emailed Diane and arranged a time to meet her early Sunday afternoon at the office. Fanny would have a car with a keyless entry pad at the airport for her, gave her the combination, and stated the key would be in the glove box along with money for parking fees. Fanny also wrote her all about Buford. It was a long email. Diane responded thanking Fanny for everything and confirming their Sunday appointment.  

All of a sudden, Buford was scrambling from under the desk banging his body against the drawers in his effort to get to his feet. Once he made it out, Fanny had to scramble to keep up with him as he rushed down the executive hall rounded a couple corners and disappeared through a doorway. Fanny watched him enter Lenny’s office as she came careening around the corner. Reaching the door, Fanny had plenty of comments ready to excuse the dog but she didn’t need a one. Lenny grinned at her as she leaned against the door jamb to catch her breath. Lenny had Buford sitting up on his hinny begging for a piece of cheese. Lenny threw a piece in the air and Buford extended his sit to a two legged stand to grab it. Fanny was amazed. Lenny held up another piece and told Buford to speak. Buford performed on command. Lenny chuckled and gave him the treat. Lenny took him through sit, lie down, stand, shake - all of which Buford passed with flying colors.

“Someone spent a lot of time training him,” Lenny said giving Buford another piece of cheese.

“Yeah,” Fanny confirmed. “I think I’ve discovered how he gained so much weight,” she said seriously. “I think I need to get him some small little treats to train him with.” Lenny agreed and Fanny thought it was sweet when he added that he would bring a small container for them to put at her desk so employees and guests could feed him.