Chapter 3

Fanny took all the short cuts she knew, by-passing traffic, and getting across town to the closest Starbucks in record time. Pleased with time, she was disappointed to have to park a ways from the store. When she pushed through the entrance, she smiled as she realized that she was going to be the only one in line. The barista must have just finished a rush because the tables were full, as were the isles, as a mommy group let their toddlers play amongst their chairs. Fanny ordered a box of coffee and looked over the chocolate selections which had already been decimated.

"I'll take the rest of your chocolate," Fanny grinned when asked if the coffee was all.

After explaining herself, the barista pulled out a few boxes from the refrigerator and starting stacking their reserve foods on the counter and then took another box and filled it with the remaining chocolate display items. As the barista was going to package the only box of chocolate covered coffee beans, Fanny intercepted her, having decided her pocket was the best place for "the big guys" favorite treat. After all, it was the last one and a person couldn't be too careful - not with a chocoholic. Fanny even had the girl toss in the reduced fat Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake, because why not?!

It's enough food to feed an army. But, she thought, I have seen those engineers eat. Fanny signed the ticket, picked up the packages, and had the barista place her iced chocolate soy milk on the very top then braced it under her chin. Turning cautiously with her arms full, Fanny placed her feet carefully aware of the children crowding the isles as she made her way to the door.

She had just nudged the exit door open a few inches when it was throw open, and a tall, large, muscular, large – big, very big- man thrust himself through the opening and slammed into her. Iced milk splashed onto her skin and drenched her clothes as it spilled down her chest, Fanny gasped and squeezed her eyes shut as the fragile bakery boxes were crushed between their bodies and she felt herself rebound backwards. In that moment, she felt large hands grip her arms and pull her forward, the giant had stopped her rebound, but as he reversed her trajectory, Fanny's balance was further compromised and to her horror she felt herself falling forward.

Her eyes flew open and adrenaline exploded through her system as she tried to take a step to regain her balance but her MS had frozen her  foot. It wouldn't cooperate, so in that split second, she redoubled her effort to raise her leg. Unfortunately, her foot released as he shifted. She tried to stop that silly leg she really did, but the power that went into the step was  too much to contain.  She knew she had hit him hard when his blue/grey eyes glazed and watered, his face paled, and he groaned - a deep pain filled groan.

"Oh, no. Oh, no. Oh, no," Fanny said frantically as he abruptly released her. Glancing around frantically, Fanny looked for a place to set her demolished packages while he stumbled to grasp a table. Rushing back to the counter, she parked her kittywompus packages on top, smiled wanly at the stunned staff, then rushed to help the poor man.

  "Stay away," he gritted through clenched teeth as she came toward him, thrusting out his arm to ward her off.

"I am so sorry, please, is there anything I can do," Fanny entreated as she stopped and wrung her hands with nervous energy as she watched him gather himself—taking deep breaths. "I didn't see you, I am so sorry," Fanny was several feet away but she knew he could hear her as all the conversation in the shop had ceased.

As color came back to his face, he frowned at her with steel blue eyes then looked away and shook his head as though to clear it. Slowly, he straightened then took another deep breath as he lowered his head, focused his intense gaze on her, and advanced on her position.
The man was tall, a giant, muscle bound, and frankly, she was scared spitless. She had never seen it before, but, yeah, his cheeks flexed as he ground his jaw. He was wearing slacks and a dress shirt, but Fanny couldn't believe he was a businessman. You can't get muscles like that in an office, Fanny thought. It must be a misdirection or something, because how many businessmen had muscles stacked on top of muscle—none that I'd ever seen. All that muscle could hurt a person if he wasn't careful, and I don't want to be that person, Fanny thought.