Chapter 16

Fanny relished sleeping in on Sabbath. She would have relished sleeping in this Sabbath, too, except for the hairy weight which was slowly trying to crawl onto the bed. It started with the press of a nose to her hand to get her to scratch him. Fanny groggily had obliged. However, Fanny now realized that it was a whole systematic effort to plague her until she was fully awake. Buford’s insidiousness was frightful in its simplicity then he had the guile to look innocent. She told him to go lay down so she could have prayer and read. Buford lay down well enough but then the staring started which she tried to block by strategically placing her book. However, she couldn’t block the low rumbling growls that rolled over her in waves.

One thing that Fanny had known for a while was that she needed a schedule – a concrete schedule. She had to have one. She tried to develop habits that were beneficial to her condition, habits that would make her life easier like color coordinating her closet. Her initial schedule for Sabbath was very simple with prayer and home time, church, and visiting.  She knew this about herself just like she knew that Buford couldn’t help but impact it.

Fanny hopped out of bed, threw on a robe, and let the beast out. She loved mornings everything was new and bright with promise. Fanny watched Buford’s antics as he romped around the yard then encouraged him to get his business done and praised him as he came back inside. He took easily to the mixed food and his tummy didn’t seem upset so far.

Fanny let him out right before she left for church. She felt comfortable leaving Buford as he was adjusting well so she went about her day though she set her alarm to remind herself to go home and tend to his needs after church service. She’d had to miss the fellowship meal, but it was a small price to pay so he wouldn’t do his business in the house. Fanny praised Buford when he came back in and since he seemed to be doing fine she left to visit Great Aunt Kathy. 

When Fanny entered the reception area, Aunt Kathy was there ready with questions. Fanny just grinned as she told Aunt Kathy about Buford’s size and his polite manners and Kathy could already see that Fanny was attached to him and she would be hurting when she gave the dog back. However, there was a sparkle to her that hadn’t been there the last time she had seen Fanny. Kathy had seen that look many times before in others eyes so when she saw it in Fanny's eyes she wanted to know who caused it. Fanny felt like she was being bombarded with questions. She didn’t know what Aunt Kathy was looking for but she was picking apart every day and asking sometimes innocuous questions only to follow them with pointed inquiries. Fanny finally had enough. She finally asked Aunt Kathy what she was trying to discover.

“I think you have a beau,” Aunt Kathy stated as she settled back into her chair. “And furthermore, I think that you’re pretty involved already.”

“I think that you’re projecting,” Fanny sat forward and leaned her forearms on her legs. “And furthermore, I think that man over there,” Fanny smiled gently and kept her eyes on her aunt as she slightly inclined to head towards a gentleman across the room. “I think he’s sweet on you.”  Fanny watched as the tips of Aunt Kathy’s ears turned red. She wore makeup so it was really the only way that Fanny could tell she was blushing. Fanny almost crowed with delight.

“You have another think coming,” Aunt Kathy fidgeted and looked at Fanny. “Who is he?”

“I don’t know I just got here. But, he seems to look quite often in your direction,” Fanny stated.

“Not him,” Kathy inclined her head towards the man. “Him!” Kathy said forcefully as she gestured to Fanny.

Fanny respected Aunt Kathy too much to prevaricate, “Kyle Chambers.” Aunt Kathy nodded and tapped her finger on the arm of her chair. She knew about Kyle from her long talks with John about his wife’s death, his family history, and he was very proud of his son. Kyle and Fanny would be a good match if Kyle could accept her. Kathy wasn’t so much worried about him accepting Fanny’s health issues as Kyle was very dedicated to his family regardless of their medical issues. She was worried that Kyle wouldn’t be able to accept Fanny's commitment to God. Kathy had a hard time initially with Fanny’s religious leanings. It had been much easier when they could shop all weekend and not have to worry about such things as going to church and Sabbaths. The one thing that Kathy always came back to was Fanny's explanation about belief. It was simple-if you are an atheist and there is no God and you die you lose nothing, but if there is a God then you would've lost everything.