Chapter 21

Kyle demanded to do the dishes so Fanny took her shot and got her hair ready for combing. Taking a towel with her, she settled on the couch in the living room and waited for Kyle. When he joined her, he was surprised to see she had her hair down. She sat in the corner of the couch with her hair pulled over one shoulder and the majority curled on the towel. Fanny looked up and invited him to sit with her. Kyle stretched out at the other end of the couch and watched her tame her tresses.

“What were you singing earlier in the kitchen?”

“It’s a song called ‘To make you feel my love.’” Kyle looked at her hopefully however Fanny could only shake her head as she had never heard of it. Kyle smiled in return and understood she had been away from mainstream music for a long time.  

They continued to sit quietly together while Fanny combed her hair. Kyle asked her why she started at the bottom, and Fanny said that she had to get out the knots from the bottom or the knots from the top would have no place to go.

“You know what really gets me,” Fanny complained. Kyle shook his head. “It’s the ads you see with the woman flinging her long wet hair around trying to make some product sexy.” Fanny pointed her comb at Kyle. “That just doesn’t happen in real life,” Fanny stated and gave a little shudder. “That woman would be combing rats out of her hair till the Lord came.” When she finished with a nod, Kyle had to chuckle.

“Fanny we need to talk about what happened today,” Kyle said. Fanny looked down and nodded. “I don’t think you know this but Lenny’s son, Brandon, has MS.” Fanny’s head shot up.

“He does?” She exclaimed and Kyle nodded. “No wonder Lenny was so sympathetic to me during the interview.”

“Brandon works at the hospital lab here in Rapid City,” Kyle said. “He’s a little older than me and he was diagnosed about five years ago. One of the things he learned was that he needed to have a safe word.”

“A safe word…?” Fanny quizzed.

“Yeah, you would use this word if you need help immediately that way people around you can understand what you need and get you out of the situation or medical assistance if you need it,” Kyle explained. “Brandon’s word is Tarzan. We were at a ball game and he started feeling poorly so he said he felt like Tarzan,” Kyle chuckled. “I understood, but his date thought he was odd.” Fanny giggled.

“Well, I guess when I start feeling poorly I feel low on energy,” Fanny confessed. “I really feel like I’m wilting.”

“That is an excellent phrase,” Kyle nodded. “You just need to tell people you are close to that you have a safe phrase so that they know to help you.”

“I am really only at work,” Fanny said as she looked down to take care of a snarl. “I haven’t told anyone but Lenny and Jesse. I was going to tell a few people if I passed my personnel review but that isn’t till Wednesday.” Kyle leaned forward and grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

“Fanny, you have passed the personnel review,” Kyle said firmly. “Nobody is going to fire you.”

“Are you saying that dating the boss has its privileges?” Fanny smiled cheekily.

“I am saying that you have twisted everyone around your finger and Lenny would have a riot on his hands if he fired you,” Kyle said seriously.

 “I just hope they still like me after I tell them I have MS.” Kyle assured her they would and Fanny just shook her head and shrugged.

“Who wouldn’t believe you?” Kyle questioned.

“Well, I told Louis, who was a long time friend and co-worker back in Montana, that I had MS and he…he…,” Fanny took a shuddery breath. Kyle threaded their fingers together.