Chapter 6

Kyle was confused by Ms. Richards sudden acquiescence, and as he stepped into the hallway, Kyle smelled something burning. A loud piercing wail sounded throughout the house as the smoke alarm triggered. Fanny's eyes got big as she gasped and dropped Carmen to the floor. They both raced for the kitchen which had the first vestiges of smoke curling past the door frame into the hallway.

With the alarm piercing her ear drums, Fanny got to the stove, grabbed the pan, and placed it in the sink, jumping back as she turned on the water to cover the smoking charred tortilla. Waving her hands and coughing, Fanny moved her way to the sliding French door and  opened it so fresh air could circulate.

The alarm stopped suddenly and the silence was deafening. Turning around, Fanny watched as the man put the cover back on the smoke alarm. That was impressive. He had just reached up and obviously popped open the contraption and viola! End of problemo. As he brought his arm down, he glanced at Fanny, noticed her wide eyed stare, and shrugged.

"Height has its advantages," he stated with a grin. He hoped a friendly expression would calm her down.

"How tall are you?" Fanny asked awed.

"Six and a half feet," Kyle answered.

"Of course you are." Fanny mumbled as she nodded her head and took in the fact that he filled the kitchen. He's massive, Fanny thought.

"What were you cooking? May I call you Eula?" Kyle asked curiously after putting the pieces together as he took in the used bowl and cooking utensils on the counters.

"Tortillas, and actually it's Fanny," she responded.

"What?" Kyle was distracted by the beautiful soft looking, homemade tortillas displayed on the counter. "What's a fanny?"

Fanny moved to the sink and opened the window above it to let in more air to create a cross current. "My name," she answered. "My name is Fanila Eula Richards. Only my Great Aunt Kathy and your dad call me Eula. Everyone else calls me Fanny. I figured even if you were a crazed stalker slash ax murderer you probably hadn't had time to figure out my middle name."

She took care of the mess in the sink and dumped the burnt tortilla in the garbage then turned to catch the expression of longing on the man's face as he looked at the nice soft tortillas next to the stove. Glancing at the clock, Fanny realized that it was getting late- almost a quarter to six. Looking down at Carmen, she realized that when he left he'd be taking that precious bundle of joy, and she would be all alone, again. All of a sudden she could think of several things to get him to stay a little longer - like dinner. He was huge; he probably hadn't eaten his quota of food today so he probably needed to eat. She was hopeful that maybe if she asked nicely he'd accept her offer! Maybe she could find a nice segue that would place it into their conversation so nicely he wouldn't think of refusing.

"Would you want to stay for supper?" His blue-grey eyes captured hers as Fanny finished on a breath, "I made plenty."

His smile near took her breath away. She felt like she had just accomplished something magnificent. It was a wonderful smile that made dimple crevices in his cheeks and crinkled up the corners of his eyes. "I would like to stay," He said drowning in her gentle brown eyes. "Do you need me to help with anything?"

"No, I was just finishing when you knocked," Fanny said taking some plates down from the cabinet. As Fanny turned, he reached for the plates, "You must be Kyle, right?" she suddenly remembered. "John's son is Kyle."

"Sorry," Kyle said as he extended his hand. "Kyle Chambers at your service," Kyle was pretty sure that she didn't recognize his name. There was no gushing, or tripping over herself, she just set the plates down and extended her hand in greeting.