Chapter 20

As he paced to the far end of the room, Kyle contemplated his next moves. Kyle knew Henry Frost, CEO of Pennington County General Hospital, from when his dad was admitted.  Knowing that money talked, Kyle had opened up a dialogue with Henry and consequently made a handsome donation to the hospital.  Diane patched the call through to his phone and speaking in low tones Kyle explained his needs. As he anticipated, her specialist would be available when they arrived. Writing down the address, he disconnected the call. He had no experience with her eye condition and he wasn't taking any chances with her vision.

Kyle slipped out of the room and succinctly told Diane that Fanny had multiple sclerosis and she just had an episode so they are going to the doctor to get her checked out. Lenny needed to be appraised of the situation and Kyle would text him later, Fanny’s position needed to be covered, his schedule cleared for the rest of the day, and Herm needed to pick up Buford and take him to John’s. As Kyle was turning to walk back to his office, he turned back and told Diane where he had taken the fish and to have someone pick them up – whatever the cost- and have the pond put back the way it had been immediately. Diane was on the phone before Kyle turned around. 

He moved the coffee table out of the way so he could slip in beside Buford then he removed Fanny’s limp arm from around the dog’s neck and shooed him away. Buford reared his bead back taking a big breath of air and snorted for all he was worth then he obligingly removed himself to the end of the couch.

Kyle knelt beside Fanny and gently awakened the sleeping beauty. He told her that he was taking her to the hospital and she groggily pushed him away and told him to let her sleep. Kyle shook her shoulder again and when she opened her eyes he was taken aback by his unrestricted view of the brown beauties.  

Suddenly, he was very grateful that she wore glasses, because if any man saw her without them he would certainly have to fight for her hand. It was similar to the difference between Diane Prince and Wonder Woman. While Kyle knew this was no time to think about it, he really wanted to see her with her hair down. Her beautiful orbs were only marred by the dark bluish discoloration that feathered out from the inside corners of her eyes indicating lack of sleep.

He encouraged her to get up but he could tell that she was trying with no real luck to make sense of what he was saying. He finished his recitation by slipping her glasses onto her nose, shodding her feet, then drawing her upright, and telling her to come with him. Either Fanny’s temper or her MS spell must have exhausted her because he had the dickens of a time getting her to his car, and then to her specialist. Since she was still lethargic when they entered, Kyle seated Fanny in reception while he talked with the front desk receptionist who gave Kyle forms to fill out. Kyle asked Fanny the questions, completed the form, and had her sign. Once the forms were returned to the receptionist, it was only a few minute before the nurse led them back to an exam room. Kyle tucked Fanny beneath his shoulder and followed the nurse. He didn't give her a choice about whether she wanted him there or not, she needed him, and he went with her. Fanny was mumbling something about being fine and just needing rest when the doctor came in.

Fanny knew where she was and what was going on. She was just too tired to care or put proper thought into movement. She answered the doctor’s questions. When she mentioned the MS Hug attack from Saturday evening continuing through the early morning hours, Kyle started questioning her. Fanny told him what had happened and ended with her house was a wreck but Buford ate the cereal. Dr. Somner shined a bright light in Fanny's eyes and couldn’t see anything wrong so she went to arrange more tests.

“Is that why you called off our date on Sunday,” Kyle asked once the doctor had left.

“Not really.” Fanny mumbled as she closed her eyes and relaxed. “It was more the sleepless, excruciating pain-racked night, with a combination of almost falling down the stairs and drowning that pretty much did it. Buford eating the cereal didn’t really factor into my decision.”