Chapter Six | The Barracks

The Barracks, as they were so aptly named, were a set of apartments renovated from what had probably been the old barracks when the Blades of Veldt had been rising to power hundreds of years ago. Lyra stared at the building, mulling over the little history she knew as Rylan led her towards the third building. They had been constructed in a U-shape, a large pavilion in the centre of them – and it was across that pavilion she was led on her way to her new home. The walls were a mix of charcoal grey stones, just like the castle's walls though they were less intimidating thanks to the less than grandiose design.

No one was there to greet them, much to Lyra's relief, and they passed silently through the corridors until they reached her new accommodation. It was a small apartment bearing the number 54, on the second floor of the last of the three buildings. Cautious, she made her way inside, eyes scanning over every inch of the place as she took in what was to be her new home.

"Does it suit your tastes?" Rylan asked, leaning against the doorframe as she looked around. "If not, there's always space in the castle for you."

"I like it," Lyra grumbled quickly. She didn't particularly want to get dragged back to the castle she had just escaped from. There it felt like she was trapped, and Lyra had never liked that feeling. It suffocated her, just like that cell had – but those memories were better off left in the past. She was free now, and that was how she'd stay.

His shoulders sunk in disappointment ever so slightly, but a soft smile soon formed on his face even as she glared at him suspiciously. "I'm glad," he said, though Lyra was fairly certain he'd have preferred it had she opted to stay within the castle itself. It was written all over his face, and that spoke volumes about the kind of mate he'd be.

He was definitely the possessive type. Lyra sighed, partly in annoyance and partly in relief – even if he wanted her to be by his side he was at least respectful of her wishes, and Lyra could appreciate that. "So," she mumbled, looking anywhere but his face. "Are you going to let me get settled?" She wanted them gone so she could find some peace and quiet. She wanted to enjoy her newly found semblance of freedom. Even if she was forced to stay there in order to be monitored, she wasn't in the clutches of Omega Taurus anymore. That was a freedom of sorts, and she'd take that.

Her eyes darted over to where he waited, furiously looking away when he noticed her stare with another gentle smile. Huffing, she folded her arms, staring determinedly at the wall opposite her. She had even found her mate – something she hadn't expected in the slightest. Rubbing at the hand he'd held, she scowled. Years of being reminded to never show weakness had made forming relationships rather hard. Plus...

"I like you..."

Clutching at her chest, she rumpled the shirt she wore as she remembered the cooling sting of the blade that had pierced her so soon after those sweet words had been uttered.

"Well we need to take care of your wardrobe issues, and you'll be joining us for lunch and dinner given the lack of anything in your fridge," Thorn said, flicking on the power supply to the refrigerator and freezer in the small kitchen. "I'm sure Rylan will oblige to take you grocery shopping tomorrow."

"Why not today?" she demanded, glaring at the food compartments like they had offended her.

"Because there are other things to be done – so I'm afraid you'll have to suffer through eating with us at the castle for today," Blu said grumpily. "Surprisingly enough our lives don't revolve around you."

"It turns out there's a lot of paperwork which comes with being an alpha," Rylan told her, handing her the keys they'd used to enter the small apartment. Though it was far larger than the sole room she'd used to stay in, not that she would've complained if it hadn't been so. Freedom was enough for her. "You'll probably be handling some of Arrow's paperwork tomorrow," he continued, chewing on his lip as he glanced between her and the door. "If you'd like I could show—"