A Suffocating Blanket

Lyra should've been waking up on the cold forest floor. She should've been running through the woods, fleeing from everybody. That was what her body was screaming at her to do. Instead, though, she found herself trapped in the arms of her mate as she woke. One hand had ridden up her shirt, far too close to her bra for comfort, but instead of electrocuting him – like she was tempted to – she found herself caressing his face. A sleeping Rylan was a cute Rylan, after all.

"Lyra..." He purred, cracking one pale blue eye open. "You might want to keep your hands to yourself..."

"Why?"

His grip on her tightened, pulling her further into chest. "You're not ready for what comes next..." He said, brushing her frizzy tangled hair back behind her ear. "We're not quite at that stage of our relationship yet, so don't tempt me into doing something we'll both regret..."

"OK..." She whispered, retracting her hand from his face.

"You want to get up and find some breakfast?" He pulled his hands away sharply, having finally noticed where they'd ended up over the course of the night. He rolled to his side of the bed, climbing out quickly, trying to keep the faint blush in his cheeks hidden.

Lyra's stomach growled, answering for her as she emerged from her edge of the bed, not bothering to get dressed before she strolled out into the corridor. Rylan followed close after her, his dressing gown open, revealing his bare muscular chest along with Lyra's bitemark.

He ended up leading the way down to the kitchen, his eyes locking straight on the silvery fridge as he strode into the busy room. "Is cereal OK?" He asked, glancing back at her as he pulled a carton of milk out.

Lyra nodded.

"Awww..." Blaze groaned. "You're not making pancakes?"

"Nope."

"Shucks." The blonde mumbled, moments before his eyes fell on the angry red bitemark and the new black inky lines surrounding it. "Holy Hell..." The Alpha said. "You've finally marked each other..."

"About damn time." Blaine, his partner in crime, muttered.

"That only took..." Blaze said, counting it up on his fingers, staring at Lyra. "Three dates... Hm. I wonder how many more it'll take before he gets into your pants..."

Red lightning slammed into him, sending him flying across the room. "Shut up, Blaze!" Lyra yelled, her cheeks flaming.

Rylan's arm snaked around her chest. "That's my Ly-bear." He whispered, laughing slightly as the tips of her ears turned crimson.

"What are we doing today?" Lyra yawned, hiding her embarrassment by snuggling into his chest, watching as he poured them both out some cereal.

"You're heading back to our room, and I'll be joining you shortly..." He said, placing both their bowls on the table. "I've just got some stuff to take care of."

"Like what?"

"We're upgrading security." Blu answered for him. "We'll need Rylan's help with that, and until that's finished, your room is the safest place to be..."

"Wouldn't I be safer with Rylan?"

"Blu and Blake will be outside your door until I get back, so you'll be fine." Rylan said. "Trust me, Ly."

"I'm not great with trust." Lyra folded her arms.

Blaze leant over the back of his chair. "Psst." He mumbled. "Ry, I think that's her way of telling you she wants to stick by your side..."

"Shush, Blaze." The Alpha King sighed, striding over to her, a slight gleam in his eyes. One hand found itself at the back of her neck, the other wrapping around her waist, pulling her close as he kissed her. Lyra's eyes closed, gently nudging her tongue against his, her lips curving upwards as her heart thudded in excitement, her body quivering under his touch. Her arms locked around his neck and then their feet were moving. "You're too distracting..." Rylan murmured, breaking off their kiss as her back met the table.