Pestilence

A shiny white and black key embedded itself in the horse's flank. "That's enough, Pestilence." The soft voice of the black and white-haired girl sounded, mismatched blue and red eyes watching as her horse vanished in a puff of purple smoke.

Lyra tumbled to the ground, her purple eyes widening as she spotted the girl who had seemed to fade into the background while she was fighting. "Who are you?!"

"You seem to be asking that a lot of late, Lyra." She said, pressing her lips to her forehead. "You'll find the answers in time, but until then, just stay here and rest with your mate."

Darkness clouded Lyra's vision, her body slumping into the other girl's as her purple magic was ripped from her in an instant.

"And who the bloody hell are you...?" Blue reptilian eyes fixed on the mismatched ones.

"No one important." She said, smiling sadly.

Blue flames crackled around her. "That doesn't answer my question."

"Like I said before." She said, striding through the blue flames that parted neatly for her. "I'm nobody." Blue flames danced in her single blue eye that looked incredibly reptilian as she turned away, blue and red flames swirling around her as she disappeared into thin air.

"Tch." Blue flames swirled around the black-haired man. "I suppose I'd best be on my way, then." He waved a hand in farewell. "See ya around, kiddies."

"Phew." Thorn mumbled as soon as the guy had vanished, leaving them alone on the battlefield.

"Let's get Lyra back inside." Rylan said, gathering his unconscious mate into his arms.

"Yeah." Liberty was at his side in an instant, staring wistfully down at her daughter. "And make sure you're careful with her when she wakes up."

"What?" Rylan stared at her, confusion evident on his face.

"Abilities come with drawbacks, remember?" Liberty said, clapping him on the back as realisation dawned upon him. "So, she'll probably imprint on the first person she sees... That tends to be our thing."

"I know." Rylan sighed, shooting a glare at Blaze once the red-haired woman had vanished in a streak of red light, following her mate who had snuck away a bit earlier.

"Well..." Blaze broke the odd silence that had fallen as they trudged back towards the castle. "That was eventful..."

"To say the least." Blaine said, casting glances in Lyra's direction every once in a while. "I never thought I'd see the coming of a Horseman while we were in power..."

"It's bad, isn't it?" Blu sighed, running a hand through his blue hair.

"He's coming..." Purple lightning crackled around his sword as he held it out, staring intently at the flickering purple gem embedded in the hilt of his weapon. "Even now I can feel him stirring in his slumber..."

"Who?" Green eyes gazed at his purple-eyed partner in crime.

"Don't worry about it Blaze." He sighed, sounding older than ever, his shoulders hunched over as his sword vanished in a swirl of purple smoke. "We've got awhile yet to prepare."

"Prepare for what?"

A sad smile crossed the brunette's face. "The biggest fight of our lives."

***

"Do you mind?" Frost's voice rang out across the dim hallway, a bored expression on his face as Thorn tugged on his chains, leading him towards his cell.

"Not particularly." Thorn said, watching as Rylan unlocked the cell he'd set aside for Frost ever since he'd first run into him.

Frost blinked, staring at the little metal plaque with his name on it. "Wow..." He mumbled, staring at the barred door. "I suppose I should be flattered..." He smirked. "To think I'd have a cell with my own name on it..."

"Get in." Thorn sighed, pushing the man forwards rather gently.

"Wait." A soft voice rang out, making Frost freeze.

"Just hurry up and lock me in my cell!" He scowled, trying to walk into his cell, scowling as Thorn jerked him back.

Elder Blythe strolled towards them, another white-haired Elder in tow.

Blue eyes locked on the matching ones. "We'll take him from here, Thorn." The white-haired Elder said, watching as Blythe took Frost's chain from the Alpha.

"I'd really rather stay here."

"Frost..."

He stared back at the Elder. "Zen."

"How many times do you want me to say I'm sorry?!" Zen asked, gritting his teeth as he stared at the sullen man.

"You should've been there when it happened..."

"Stop being a brat." Blythe sighed. "You know your father was away on a very important assignment."

"Oh, so the loyal dog speaks...?"

Zen closed his eyes, rubbing a strand of Frost's pale blonde hair between his forefinger and thumb. "You know, your hair colour is the only thing you have in common with your mother..."

"You don't have the right to talk about her."

"Come on, Frost." Zen turned, walking away, not bothering to watch as Blythe pulled his son behind them. "Are you happy?" He asked. "You're finally going to get all the special attention you need."

"I don't want your attention."

Zen turned, his expression dark. "But you're going to get it."

***

"She'll be fine, Ry." Alpha Hunter sighed, staring at the man standing by the hospital bed his mate was currently sprawled across. "Whatever happened out there just really took it out of her. She'll wake up when she's ready, so just stay there and get ready to be imprinted on."

"I was born ready."

Blaze sat down next to him. "Sure you were."

"Shut-" Rylan froze as he was pulled into the blonde's arms.

"You should be more careful." Blaze sighed. "I think I can speak for everybody when I say that you scared the hell out of us back there." Tears leaked down from his green eyes. "Don't do anything reckless again, kay?" He said, quickly wiping away the tears before he pulled back.

"Were you crying?" One black eyebrow quirked.

Arms folded across Blaze's chest. "Of course not." He grumbled, blinking as he heard rustling on the bed behind him.

"Move, Blaze." Rylan pushed him towards the door. "She'll imprint on the first person she sees, remember?"

"I remember." He said, closing the door behind him as he left them to their own devices.

The Alpha King sat back down on the bed, smiling slightly as he stared at the closed door. "You're a terrible liar, Blaze." He mumbled, smiling softly as Hunter saw himself out, leaving him alone with his mate, so there'd be no doubt about who she'd imprint on when she woke.

So the arms that locked around his waist came as no surprise to him as he sat there, grinning widely.

"And here we go again..."

-----

ILLENIS HERE

I may or may not do a book for Frost, but right now, I think I'm drowning in my workload... I've got ideas for two or three other series with a decent number of books in them. Don't forget, I've also got to do the Elders of Stonewall Series - the prequel. I've also got a spin-off of this to plan too.

Gah.

Don't hold me to all of this.

Hopefully I will get around to it, but I do have to slide in the rest of my life around my writing and I'm currently in my first year of Uni.

Wish me luck.

I have a feeling I'll need it.

The Epilogue comes next.

See you there.

-----