Chapter 18

Aaron was so worked up about everything going on in his head that Finlay knew the guy needed a break. It was obvious that Aaron was unsure of whether to go through with his little task or not. In a show of good faith, Finlay invited him back to his house for lunch. He knew Aaron hadn't told any of his friends about their deal or about the fact that he was trying to find another way of erasing their powers. The last thing Finlay needed was for Aaron to go back and have to explain where he'd been. He felt that, if it came to it, Aaron might just spill all he knew, and his friends would try and stop him.

"So, you don't seem to be that sure about doing this," Finlay began. "You want to skip dinner tonight so you can talk it all over with Megan?" He moved about his extensive kitchen, making lunch for the two of them.

Aaron sighed, rubbing his eyes wearily as he sat at the breakfast bar. He nonchalantly flicked open the cook book lying on the table, taking a peek at the paper clippings inside. "I'm not going to worry her over things that aren't settled yet," Aaron replied, never taking his eyes from the cookbook. "Since nothing's really happening, she's better off not knowing ... yet." Aaron took a breath, then leaned back to look at Finlay. "I got a message from Ray, though, just after you went down to the cellar," Aaron claimed suddenly.

Finlay was intrigued. He looked over at Aaron as he cracked two eggs into a bowl. "Is Megan okay?"

"Yeah I guess. Jackson somehow managed to sneak down to the basement to talk to her," Aaron replied. A moment later, his pensive sigh turned to laughter.

Slight jealousy radiated within Finlay's eyes, though he didn't know why he felt it.

"He thought I was taking her out on a date!"Aaron said, laughing. "Megan said he was fuming mad so she put him in his place, telling him that just because he didn't want her didn't mean anyone else did either. She told him about coming to meet you and he went nuts." Aaron was amused beyond belief by all that his friend had told him, allowing the humor to detract from the sadness and confusion of his discussion with Kaitlin.

"You know she shouldn't have told him," Finlay said disapprovingly, but he also found it a little funny.

"Yeah, I know. Ray said that the best part was that Jackson started shouting that he was in love with her, and that he'd had a plan but just didn't have time to tell her about it before she got mad at him," Aaron continued, happy to have something new to talk about. "He said he wanted to marry her and everything."

Finlay's head snapped to attention as he stared at his young friend, knowing that he'd never considered marriage before and that he never really intended on ever getting married. It was definitely going to be a problem if Megan wanted reassurance that it would be their final course of action.

"So Ray asked Megan whether she thought she'd made a mistake, but she shouted at him that all J had ever done was lie to her and that if he loved her so much then he should have told her sooner," Aaron laughed, mindless of Finlay's inner worry.

"You shouldn't laugh at him. If he really cares about her, it can't be easy knowing what you intend to do with her," Finlay replied, not exactly ecstatic about the admission Aaron had made on the drive back home. Aaron had told him about how they'd intended to ransom Megan to their world, which she probably wouldn't be allowed to leave again, in exchange for their freedom from their spells and magic.

"Yeah, well he should have thought about that before he hurt her," Aaron huffed, lifting a stick of celery from the fruit bowl and taking a bite with a thought provoking sigh.

Finlay finished making pancakes from scratch before adding a multitude of berries and some syrup to top it all off.

"Aw ... genius," Aaron approved finally, lifting a fork with a gleeful smile. "So ... you want to tell me why you're so interested in an eighteen year old?"