Chapter 28

Damian settled down for the night, trying to fight the thoughts of Kaitlin and Amelia, and was surprised to hear footsteps approaching his room. He had been a mess all night, tossing and turning and pacing the floor, worrying about what would happen to Kaitlin and whether the transfer of souls would work or not.

The seer had told them all that they had to wait to see what would happen, that Amelia's soul would sit in the open box beside Kaitlin's bed all night and move into her body when it was ready for a renewed life, but Damian didn't want to wait. He didn't want Amelia renewing herself in Kaitlin's body. He didn't want Amelia doing anything to Kaitlin, never mind taking over her entire body and soul. After the transfer, Damian knew that he might see Kaitlin's beautiful face again, but it would never contain the woman who had managed to make him turn his back on Angela and finally move on with his life. He didn't want to be without her. But in the morning, they would finally know if Amelia was home or not.

He waited to see if the footsteps would pass, but they came closer and stopped down the hallway for just a moment, then started up again and moved closer to his door. When the footsteps stopped this time, they didn't move on again until the handle of his door turned and the door opened. Kaitlin was standing in the doorway, and gently closed the door behind her, trying not to let anyone hear.

"Katie? Sweetheart, what are you doing here?" Damian asked with a smile. He was so happy to see her, but he also knew that Lucius had ordered him to stay away from her until morning, but Kaitlin had come to him. Surely that wasn't against the rules at all. He quickly slipped out of bed and moved silently across the room to her. She fell right into his arms and then burst into tears. It was clear that she was frightened, worried and scared. And all this happened because they had fallen in love at a time when he was least able to offer her forever.

"I don't think it's working. I know how much you need Amelia and how much the clan needs her, but I'm so afraid that I'll lose you. I don't think my mind's going to let it happen," Kaitlin confessed in a stream of tears as she looked up at him helplessly, hoping that it would all just go away. Then she could be with him and they could be happy. And it was all her fault. If she hadn't told him how she felt in the first place, they would never have had a relationship to ruin everything. She should never have moved into his room, and should never have told Vitoria the truth. It was all one big disaster.

"I'm scared, too. I hate her so much. I don't want you to become her because I'll only hate you, too," Damian replied with a sigh. Amelia had done so much to him that he could never forgive her. Now he knew that he had never loved her, but was forced to believe he did by the situation he had been trapped in for all these years.

Lucius had put him in such a confusing place. Damian had no choice but to think that his loyalty and cooperation was all because he loved Amelia and couldn't deny her anything. But in reality, his loyalty was to Lucius. After all, he had tried to help Angela before she died and had allowed him to turn Trey so that he had someone on his side. It just wasn't fair, but whether it was fair or not, he knew that there was no getting out of it. He had a choice to make ... betray the clan or betray his heart. And as hard as it was for him to make that choice, he had to do what was right ... even if it killed him inside.

"We have no choice. You have to let it happen," Damian said with a sigh. He knew there was no other way for it to happen than to make sure she was unconscious when Amelia's soul finally took over her body. So without any warning, Damian hit her, full on the face with a punch so hard it knocked her out. He hated himself for it, but knew that she couldn't fight what was happening to her if she was unconscious. Damian just couldn't go against the clan after all they had done for him, despite how many times Amelia had messed it up.

As much as he cared for Kaitlin, he knew that the clan's survival was much more important that his own heart. Without her, he would be heartbroken all over again. He would lose her just as he had lost Angela with no hope of ever seeing her again, but he could run the clan with a broken heart. He would be a stronger, more feared leader without her, but he was sure that if Kaitlin had known his reasoning, she would have understood. She was the only one to understand him.