PART ONE: ALEX; CHAPTER ONE: THE SUMMONING

MUNDANE WORLD
His legs burned like quicksilver, his heart hammered like a blacksmith at an anvil, his breath came in short, raspy gasps, his lungs crying for a rest. His name was Alexander Irvine and he was literally running for his life. He had kissed a girl without knowing that she had a boyfriend who was in a motorcycle gang. The biker's name was Damian, and he was now chasing Alex with a knife. Alex, being naturally agile, nimble and a master strategist,had easily out maneuvered Damian's bike, which had lost its front wheel in a collision with a concrete slab. However, Alex had been running the whole time, and Damian was gaining. He cried out and nearly collapsed.
FANTASY WORLD
Her aching wings felt ready to drop her out of the sky. She was a dragon! However, the demon seemed to be sapping every ounce of her strength. Suddenly, a rift appeared and through it, she could see a strange and distant reflection of her world. She knew that this was as good of an escape route as any and flew straight through it.
MUNDANE WORLD
She saw one human chasing another with a strange blade. She knew that it was one of them who had summoned her, and knew that that one would not be afraid of her. She let out an ear-splitting roar. The one with the blade fled. The unarmed one just stood there gazing at her, awed by what he saw, but not afraid.
He almost fainted at the sight of the dragon. It was beautiful, terrifying, and it had just saved his life. It landed in front of him, facing him, luminous green eyes making direct contact with blue.