Walking Alone {A Nate Ruess Funfic}

It's late, again.

I look at the clock.

12:15 AM?!

I should head back home to my crummy apartment or the landlord will have a cow.

I pack up my bags and run to my car. The left back door doesn't open from the outside, so instead I throw everything into the passenger's seat.

I can't believe I worked until midnight, again. This new job hasn't been very convenient to my sleep schedule.

I get in the drivers seat and grab the keys from my purse to put into the ignition.

My car let out a small cough, then a grumble, and then it started up.

I put on my seatbelt and pull the gear on reverse, causing me to jolt in my seat. Then, moving it back to drive, I steadily pressed my foot down on the gas pedal, which caused me to jolt again.

I've never gotten used to driving, ever since I was 19, when I first got my official licence.

The streets are empty, and the stoplights shine their bright bursts of green, yellow, and red lights. Mine stayed green and I moved along quite quickly. I wanted to get home. I was tired and I hadn't had a proper meal yet.

I was eager to get home, so eager in fact, that I decided to run the next red light, seeing as though nobody was around to see it, anyway.

That was the stupidest fucking idea because that moment, that tragic and fateful moment, a car, out of nowhere, slammed right into mine, causing me to black out instantaneously.