Trying

"Trina?"

A voice is muffled and slurry behind the ringing of my ears. I try to speak, but the pain is unbearable.

"Okay. Trina?"

I look around and see a silhouette of a man in blue. Its a doctor, yes I know, and there are three or four of them.

Then, I hear Nate's voice mumbling and echoing . Like it was in the dream I had a while back.

"It's not fair."

The pain worsened and I burst out screaming, grabbing onto anything I could get my hands on.

"My baby."

The doctors spoke but I couldn't understand what they were saying.

"My..."

The room darkened, and the ringing stopped. It was silent.

"Trina, it's almost over." says Nate's voice.

I look around and still see nothing. I suddenly feel my belly move then settle again.

"Nate?"

His name echoed around me, causing me to panic.

"Where are you?"

Still, no response.

♪♪ Well, my dad was sick, and my mom she cared for him...♪♪

A song, mixed with a radio frequency, played from a distance. I followed it until I found Nate sitting in a hospital chair, his head in his hands, and tears dripping from his fingers.

"It's not fair." he repeated, over and over until I blinked my eyes and the scene changed to the dream I had.

Tires screetched and light shown on an empty road, covered in a thin layer of rain. Down the road, something lays in the middle of the empty street. I walk towards it and see that it's a body.

I look around and nothing but grass and trees spread across the terrain.

As I begin to examine the body closer, I realize that the body is Nate's.

I scream, and a rather sharp pain ran across my back and stomach, causing me to fall on the wet pavement beside him. My hand touched his, and I could feel his cold, lifeless fingers. I cried, but no tears escaped from my eyes. His face, pale and still, was firmly pressed against the gravel. His once bright green eyes were now empty of any color. And he didn't move an inch. He was perfectly dead.

"Trina." his dead lips began to move in unison to the voice, which didn't belong to him. "Trina, you have to wake up. We need you. Come on."

His body began to vanish, and I tried to reach for it before it was too late, but I couldn't move. It was like I was strapped to the ground.

"Wake up. Wake up! Wake up, wake up, WAKE UP!!!"

My eyes opened. But only for a few short seconds because the brightness blinded my eyesight. I couldn't see anything. All I saw were bright lights. But I could hear beeping. From a heart monitor.

"She's stable." a woman says.

"BP is 98." says another woman.

"Get her husband." says the original doctor.

Footsteps squeak close by and stop.

"My god." says a voice. Nate's voice.

I open my eyes, and a silhouette of him hung under the lights. I raised my arm and touched his face, which was wet and warm.