Ambitious Thoughts

I wake up and glance down on the bed where Chloe had been resting. She's gone now, probably into the living room, so I get up carefully while trying not to disturb Nate's slumber.

I walk quietly to the living room and turn on the television. The news is quite nerve-wrecking so I switch it to something more watchable.

I make my way to the kitchen and flip the switch on the coffee maker. I fill the canister with water and put  three scoops of ground coffee into the slot.

While I wait for the coffee to process, I get the camera from my bag and gather all of the film that was used.

I then get my laptop and email Annette of my returning home from the tour and tell her the photos will be developed as soon as possible.

I look up and see Nate standing at my bedroom doorway.

"Good morning, hun." I say.

He smiles as he rubs his eyes and yawns, letting out a quiet roar of relief before he makes his way to the couch.

He plops down and grabs the newspaper from the coffee table.

"Oh, Nate, that's an old one." I tell him.

He looks at the paper and checks the date.

"Friday, February 3rd," he says. "Eh, old news is still news."

I smile and walk back to the kitchen to get us both a cup of coffee.

I hear Nate turning the pages of the paper. For some odd reason, that sound in the distance made me feel safe and happy. Almost as if it were my dad when he would read the paper everyday before going to work when I was a child growing up in New Jersey.

Except, my father is gone. Only my mother resides back at my New Jersey home.

Maybe I'll take Nate to see her sometime.

"Two couples were found dead at Lakeside Woods." Nate said from the living room.

I frown and shake my head.

"That's less than a mile from the suburbs." I set the cups down and walk to Nate.

"What happened?" I asked, rubbing his shoulders while looking at the paper with him.

He skims over the page and starts to read.

"They seemed to have been mauled by an animal, perhaps a bear."

I place my hand on Nate's neck and rub it.

"Aw, wow. That's terrifying. "

Nate nods and sets the paper down before standing up to give me a hug.

"Don't worry. No bears will get you." he says with a laugh.

I nudge his side and roll my eyes.

"Oh, gee, thanks."

I kiss him and make my way back to the kitchen to finish our cups of coffee.

I pour the coffee into the mugs and walk them to the coffee table where Nate had been sitting.

"Thanks, hun." he says.

I smile and nod.

He picks up the mug with great care and takes a short sip from the brim. He winces and sets the mug back down.

"Still hot?" I ask with a grin.

He smirks and nods.

I laugh and go to the freezer to grab an ice cube.