Chapter 2- Who is this?

Chapter 2- Who is This

I go up to my room and plop everything down in the corner. I have nothing to do tonight because Leah went on a date with some random guy which leaves me alone. I contemplate whether or not I should text the number, I decide, why not?

-Who is this?- Lou.

A couple seconds later I get a response.

-Wow, I'm surprised you don't remember me.- W.

I read the text twice when it finally clicks. Could it be? No, Will?

I text back -Will?-.

If it isn't him this is going to be embarrassing!

Another response comes in. -You guessed it. Where were you after class?- W.

Crap, I can't say I was going to the bathroom. Umm.

I reply, -I had to get to my next class early.- That sounds good, short and sweet.

-Oh ok, I was hoping I could talk to you more.- W.

He wanted to talk to me more? Where is Leah when I need her!

-Oh, well there's always tomorrow.- I respond.

Does that sound desperate? Oh well. I hit send. I wait and nothing comes through. Oh. My. Gosh. This is why I have only like one friend! Well I tried. I throw my phone down and doze off. When I wake up it's 12:30 at night. I check my phone and there's still zero texts. Whoo Hoo. There is a missed call though and it's from the hospital. I call back the number right away.

"Hello, this is Lou Elle, I was recently contacted and was wondering if everything was ok?" I ask, the worry in my voice showing.

"Ah yes. Lou we were calling to inform you about your father, David. His heart rate dropped dramatically earlier but he's stable now. Maybe you would like to come see him?" Said the person on the other line, but I was already out the door.

I climb into my red Jetta and speed there, not even taking time to park and rush inside. I hear someone telling me where the room is, but he's been in the hospital so long, I know it by heart. I could walk this place blindfolded. As I'm rushing into my fathers room I swear I see Will, but it can't be him, he's new and I would've seen him here before. As I enter my dads room I see him lying on the grungy bed. There's still multiple tubes coming from his arms, head, and chest and he looks even more pale than when I last saw him.

"Hi dad." I say. Even though he can't talk to me, I still believe that he is listening.

"So I met this boy at school but I kinda blew it. His name is Will but he hasn't talked to me very much, so I think he's out of the picture."

When I talk to him, I act like nothing happened to help make things a little more normal. We were really close. I sit with him for another hour before leaving. My eyes are bloodshot from all the crying and I'm extremely tired. I head home, close my eyes and almost immediately fall asleep. The next morning I wake up around noon. I end up missing school but don't even care, I feel like doing nothing today. I take a long shower and brush my teeth. Then throw on a clean pair of sweats and a T-Shirt before heading down stairs. I plop down on the couch and eat my cereal when the doorbell rings. When I go to answer it theirs a man standing outside holding what looks like cookies.