Chapter 17- Shots Fired

The pain I feel in my head is all I can concentrate on right now as I'm trying to writhe out from under Zach's grasp. When he slammed me into the wall, my head was the first thing that collided.

"Get up!" He spits and I do as I'm told right as he sends a punch directly to my stomach. I keel over in pain and feel as though I'm going to get sick.

"W-why are you doing this?" I wheeze, clutching my stomach.

"Let's just say a little friend of yours is helping me out." He sneers back, swinging at my face this time.

Somehow I manage to dodge his punch and I quickly run to grab any kind of weapon in my sight. My hand lands on the knife block and I quickly grab what I can.

"Get out of my house if you want to live to see another day!" I shout, waving the knife at him.

"Aww, look at you, thinking you're so clever. Didn't your daddy ever tell you never bring a knife to a gun fight?" He snarls pulling back his coat to reveal the barrel of a pistol.

Shit. I have no idea what to do. If I run he'll shoot me, but if I try to attack him I'll also get shot. My odds of getting him with the knife are probably greater than the odds of getting away. I have to take action and quickly. On three I lunge for him but I'm not fast enough.

It seems as though everything is going in slow motion. The sneer on Zach's face as he reaches for his gun and the look of satisfaction he gets when pulling the trigger. The shot rings out and at first I feel no pain, until I look down and see the hole the bullet ripped through my leg. A blood curtailing scream left my body as I collapsed to the ground.

"Lou!" Someone screamed my name. Will. "Stay with me, Lou. I'm calling for help, please stay awake."

"Yes, she's been shot in leg and needs immediate medical attention. Please hurry." He cries into a cellphone and then comes over to support my head.

"Please I can't lose you too. I love you so much Lou." He says, before everything goes black.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
They press the defibrillators on my chest but there is no heartbeat.
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
They try restarting my heart but there is no beat.
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
They try one last time to bring me back to life when the unthinkable happens, a heartbeat. I was pronounced dead for seventeen seconds until some special force watching over me caused me to wake back up. I'm not sure what it was, but I will forever be thankful to still be alive.

I wake up to find Will in a chair holding my hand and Leah by my feet while my mom stands by my side.

"She's waking up!" My mother says and the memory of what happened comes flooding back, making me shoot upright.

"It's alright sweetie, calm down." She says in a soothing tone.

"Zach! He came after me, we need to catch him!" I frantically say until my mom takes my hand and strokes my hair.

"You won't have to worry about him anymore. If it wasn't for your boyfriend, he would still be on the loose," my mom says and I look at her confused, "after you blacked out Will went after Zach and knocked him out cold. That's how the police got him."

I look over to Will and he shrugs. "Can I be alone with him for a second?"

"You take as long as you need." Leah says and then her and my mom get up to leave.

"So, Zach's in jail and is going to be in there for a long time." Will speaks first.

"That's awesome. I still don't understand who told him where I live though." I ask Will, my head spinning.