Chapter 24- Death and Everything After

Lou's POV

It's cloudy outside but that's fine by me. Today is Thursday which means we have the funeral and I am absolutely dreading it. There aren't a ton of people coming, just friends and family. My dad would have wanted it this way, he wasn't the type of guy who liked all the attention on himself. It's at 11:00 so I woke up at 7:00. Early yes, but I didn't get much sleep last night anyways.

I'm wearing a black dress that falls just above the knee and minimal makeup. I'll probably just cry it all off anyway. I go down the stairs and my mom is standing at the bottom in black dress pants and a black shirt. We both look like absolute hell with our bloodshot eyes and puffy faces.

"Ready to go sweetheart? It's already 10:00 and we want to be early." She croaks out as a tear falls down her face.

All I can do is nod. I grab her hand and we walk out to the car together. At first we are silent, but after awhile my mom finally speaks.

"Honey, I just want to remind you that it's going to be an open casket funeral. You're going to see him, but he will not look anything like before."

"I know mom. I-I miss him so-" I couldn't even finish my sentence before sobs overtook my body.

"Listen Lou. We have to be strong today okay? I know it is extremely hard, but you can't let this ruin your life," there are tears falling down her face as she speaks, "We knew for awhile now that he wasn't going to come out of the coma, aren't you glad he's no longer suffering?"

I nod my head and wipe away my tears. "Thank You mom, I needed that."

"Anytime sweetheart, I'll always be here when you need me."

We drive the rest of the way in silence. When we go inside the church my breath hitches in my throat and I see the casket with my father inside. No-one is here yet giving us our time to grieve before they arrive. I walk up to the casket and my dad looks so foreign. His skin looks orange from all the makeup they put on him and his hands are clasped holding a rosary.

"Daddy, if you can hear me please let me know. I miss you more than anything in the world, but I know that you love me." Sobs shake my body as I lean over my dads lifeless body.

Quickly I wipe away my tears and rush outside, welcoming the fresh air. Out of nowhere the clouds clear and a rainbow appears. I remember the words my dad told me, anytime I see rainbows, feel the wind on my face, or hear birds chirping it's him. Right now I couldn't be more sure that he's watching over me. A smile spreads across my face and I head back inside, ready to brave the day.

At 10:50 people start coming and I go to the room in the back of the church to prepare the speech I wrote for today. The priest starts to talk about my father and blesses him and the family, causing me to tear up. He calls my name and I walk out of the room up to the podium.

I take a shaky breath, then begin, "I would like to start by thanking all of you for coming out today, it means so much. My father was the best man that I have ever known. From his caring personality to his jokes that were so stupid, but never failed to make me laugh," the people in the crowd chuckle and I look up and scan the room looking for my mother. My eyes meet with someone, but it's not my mom, it's Will. My eyes grow huge and his are the same way. What is he doing here? I quickly finish my speech and head back into the room.

"Thank You Lou, for that wonderful speech about your father. I would now like Steven Brooks to present his speech." The priest says and I see Wills dad come to the podium. What is going on?

"Hi Everyone. David and I go way back, some of you may not know, but I lost my wife a couple years ago in a car crash. David seen the accident happen and ran to save her. He was able to rush her to the hospital where she was kept on life support. It bought her a week of life, we were so thankful for that week and thankful for David. After she passed away we grew closer and ended up becoming best friends." I gasped as he said all this. How could I have never known of this? He continues, "my son and I moved here when we heard his condition was worsening. We wanted to be here for David just like he was for us. Thank you."