four

I was sitting in the main living room, a steaming cup of tea set to the side and a book in my hand

I was sitting in the main living room, a steaming cup of tea set to the side and a book in my hand. After the stressful week of trying to get Lincoln to co-operate for this English project I felt I deserved to treat myself.

The background noise of the t.v soothed my mind as I flipped through the pages, reading every word carefully. I never failed to take forever while reading. I always made sure to reread the page in case I missed something. My attention to detail was a little obsessive, but that's who I am and will always be.

Setting my book in my lap, I took a sip of the tea. The smells of cinnamon and apples danced around my face, before I set the delicious drink down. Just as my hand struck the book, my phone began vibrating on the end table. I didn't bother checking the caller i.d as I couldn't be bothered.

"Hello?," I yawned and stretched out my arm.

"So you want to have a sleepover?," Lennie's voice was abrupt but I was used to her blunt questions.

"A sleepover? Wow what are we six?," I laugh through the receiver, sure that my voice sounded like a concoction of an old man and a witch.

"I think we're six at heart," Lennie laughed back, amused by my answer.

"Yeah sure," I wiped away the tears that had formed from laughing. "Parents are away this week so it'll just be us and Marie. But she leaves around six," I sighed and set my book onto the coffee table.

"Wonderful," Lennie shrilled, clearly pumped for this evening.

"What time were you thinking of coming over?," I grabbed my tea and walked through the french doors to the kitchen.

"Like maybe four-ish?," Lennie coughed, causing for her voice to be slightly muffled.

"Four-ish?," I repeated what I had believed I heard through the receiver.

"Yeah. That work for you?," I heard the noise of the several people and that's when it registered she was working.

"Shouldn't you get back to work?," I laughed setting my tea on the counter.

"Oh hardy har har," Lennie laughed dryly through the phone. "See you soon," the line went dead and I set my phone onto the counter beside my tea.

"Marie?," I called for the housemaid, who was more truly a mother to me than my own.

"What's wrong?," Marie rushed to the kitchen, her dark hair had being pulled back by a handkerchief.

"Nothing. I just was going to let you know Lennie's coming over," I laughed at the state of Marie, who seemed to have been dusting the entertainment room.

"Leanna. Okay," Marie huffed and took out a glass to pour herself a drink.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you," I leaned against the counter, the coolness of the marble numbing my arms.