//Nine//

We finish ordering for dinner, when Jack gets up

"I'll be back." He eyes Jaeden and I suspiciously before leaving, and almost everyone at the table has a smirk on their face.

"Sage," Jaeden groans, pretending to collapse on the table, "Confess already!"

"Confess what?" She throws her hands up in the air, utterly confused.

"That you like little Jackie-poo!" Wyatt snickers. Sage groans, putting her head in her hands.

"Seriously? We're 100% just friends. Literally nothing else. Sorry someone cared about me being upset." She scoffs, and I feel the ends of my mouth being tugged down.

"Well some of us care!" Finn blurts out, glancing in my direction, his eyes flickering down to my frown.

"Like?" Sage raises an eyebrow, waiting for examples. Finn hesitates for a second before speaking up again.

"L-like Shiloh," He says. "And the rest of us. Jack just happened to volunteer-"

"I'm back!" Jack sings out, returning to the table. Everyone looks uncomfortably at each other and at Jack before coming up with random conversations to distract from the awkward occurrence. I see Jack hit Jaeden's arm, whispering something with a concerned expression on his face. Jaeden's eyes momentarily make eye contact with mine, before flickering over to Sage, and back to Jack.

I turn to face Sage, only to find she's already looking in my direction. "Can we talk?" I mouth to her, and she processes my lip movements before nodding and looking away. I look down at my lap, sighing, when I feel a hand squeeze my knee.

My head whips up, seeing Finn looking right at me. My cheeks blush furiously as he gives me a reassuring smile.

"You'll figure it out." He says, nodding his head towards Sage.

"We always do." I reply, and he gives me an understanding look.

--

Sage and I don't speak at all on the way home. In fact, Derek pulls me aside a little after we arrive, and asks what the hell is up.

"Just ignore it, it'll be over soon." I say, avoiding eye contact and going into the bathroom to get ready for bed.

It's now 1am and the bedroom is filled with complete silence. But there isn't the soft sound of sleepy breathing.

"You up?" I ask, breaking the long lasting quiet.

"Wide awake." Sage says, barely chuckling.

"Can we talk about today?" I ask, a little sheepishly.

"Yeah. We should." Sage says.

"Well," I start, "You know how friend-jealous I get. I was really hurt and confused as to why and how Jack cheered you up. I felt guilty that I wasn't there when you needed me, but I also felt like you didn't make an effort to talk to me." I say, letting everything out. Sage sighs, thinking of an answer.