//Fourteen//

I'm spending the morning at home today, and going to set in the afternoon. Derek and I hesitate as we open Skype and hover over the call button.

"We have to talk to them." Derek says, sighing.

"I know. Just press it." I say, massaging my temples. He clicks the video call button and we wait as the computer dials our parents.

They answer quickly, and I almost gasp at the sight.

Even through the pixelated screen, I can see the bags under their eyes. My mom's hair is disheveled and my dad is trying to comfort her.

"Mom..." I trail off and I feel the tears coming up. I will myself to stop, knowing I have to be strong for Derek and my parents.

I won't show weakness.
I won't make my parents feel worse.
I won't screw everything up.

"How is it goin' over there?" My dad speaks up, oblivious to my concerned tone of voice.

"Good. It's fine." Derek says bluntly.

"You guys are doing okay?" My mom asks, looking at the screen intently. I can tell she's looking closely, trying to make sure we aren't lying. Trying to make sure she isn't causing us any physiological harm.

"Yeah, yeah we are." I say, my voice barely covering the crack.

"How is it going?" Derek speaks up, glancing sideways at me, and back to the screen.

"It's... busy." My mom answers vaguely, sending a sinking feeling to my gut. She runs a hand through her messy hair and smiles tiredly at us. "We're glad you're having fun."

"How's Andy?" Dad asks.

"Good. Everyone's good." I answer, licking my chapped lips. "So... when are you guys coming back?" I finally ask, and I see my parents give each other an unreadable look.

"I'm sorry sweetheart," My dad sighs. "We don't know when. We were hoping this would go by a little faster but there's a lot of complications and things against the school."

"We understand." Derek says, still eyeing me.

"We'll try to be back as soon as possible, okay?" My mom assures us.

"Okay." Derek and I say in unison, frowning.

"We have to go, but we'll check in later. Take care of yourselves." My dad says shifting around.

"We will. Love you." I say.

"Love you, bye."

"Goodbye."

We hang up the call and Derek pulls me into a hug, resting his head on top of mine. He doesn't say anything and we sit that way for a while, before we finally pull away and nod at each other with understanding.

I trudge back into my bedroom, looking at the pale walls. I feel so weak. I just... need to be with everyone else right now.

--

Uncle Andy pulls up to the house and I hug Derek goodbye as I hop inside.

"Hey, how's it going?" Andy asks, driving away from the house. I frown.

"Not so great." I sigh.

"Sorry to hear that. How about you call the kids and see what they're up to? Maybe that'll make you feel better." He suggests, and I shrug, pulling out my phone. I dial Sage and she picks up immediately.

"Hey, Lo." She says, and I can hear slight commotion in the background.

"What's up over there? I'm on my way." I say, biting my lip and looking out the window.